Looking for autopilot advice for a friend's boat

vetting

I run a Raymarine EV-200 with their X5-R behind the steering wheel.  I've had it for 5 years or so and love it and would have my buddy get the same unit, but its no longer made.  He has a 23ft glass I/O boat with cable steering and trolls with his main.  For a chart plotter, he has a Lowrance Ti2.  Since it cable steer and he doesnt want to switch over to hydraulic, what are the best current options for autopilot?  I started looking but now I'm more confused on the newer options then when I first started.

octopus drives makes a cable unit that mounts behind dash if theres room, I rarely use Raymarine pumps on an install ,have nothing but praise for the Octopus pumps and drives

I used the Octopus drive and Garmin Reactor 40. When I built my system the kit was out of stock. I call Garmin and they provided a component list part numbers for the kit. I was able to assemble the pieces. Good luck

How necessary is it to have a chart plotter that is compatible with the actual autopilot?  I know with the raymarine components, I think it uses the chart plotter data to help with course corrections. 

What about going with a:
LOWRANCE–Outboard Pilot Cable Steering Pack (should work on an I/O) - $1450
Just have to figure out if the steering cable would be correct and the Lowrance Elite - TI2 has the autopilot controls. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/8/2022 at 9:40 AM, vetting said:

I run a Raymarine EV-200 with their X5-R behind the steering wheel.  I've had it for 5 years or so and love it and would have my buddy get the same unit, but its no longer made.  He has a 23ft glass I/O boat with cable steering and trolls with his main.  For a chart plotter, he has a Lowrance Ti2.  Since it cable steer and he doesnt want to switch over to hydraulic, what are the best current options for autopilot?  I started looking but now I'm more confused on the newer options then when I first started.

I have that xr5 system for sale i just took off my boat