Sliders vs stackers for salmon

I like fixed sliders. I like knowing exactly where it is and seem to get better hook ups. The downside to stacking on downriggers in a small boat is it uses up 2 rods and if there’s only 2 of you it seems like a waste to stack when you’re only allowed 6 rods. Sliders are freebie lures in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixed sliders all the way ..no tangles good hook ups and you know what water your covering . These are what I use they are home made from offshore releases. Snap goes around main line , leader goes on split ring ..the clip release to main line to hold in place .. simple and very effective . And keep your cheater line short makes it easy to net fish and less tangles in the net . I do like 6 foot or less IMG_20220714_202502767.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I haven't run a stacked rigger in over a decade.  Free sliders or fixed cheaters for me.  Three riggers with cheaters puts 6 spoons in the zone.  Those other two extra rods can be put to good use running 4 divers or two coppers.  

• Like 3

I like Gambler's math. I've just started using both sliding and fixed cheaters and have a couple of questions. Is there an optimal depth to attach a sliding cheater, should it always be 1/2 of your target depth? On a fixed cheater I usually attach 10-15' above the main spoon and have found the cheater to be unattached sometimes when bringing the line up with no apparent hit. Is it normal for the drag on the cheater spoon to cause the release? I use off shore releases. Thanks for any tips.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Breaking Bass- Try using the offshore release with the rubber "pin" on the face of the jaw if not using it. It can help hold the line in.

Despite placing a slider a given distance up the line it will seek a place in the bow of the line which can vary up and down and depending on the lure itself and boat speed can vary considerably so if want to keep fairly constant distance maintained a fixed slider is the way to go.

Edited by Sk8man