How are you staying sane?

chowder

I don't know about you but with the Flx launches iced in and the snow so deep I can't get out on the ice with the wheeler I'm starting to wither (not to mention the brutal cold). So, how are we holding it together?

All right I'll start: I'm brewing beer and working on motorcycles in the small, heated part of the shop + chipping a way at some reel m&r.

Well I sprayed all my spoons with a UV spray then I sprayed them with a cover scent that a local bait and tackle store talked me into, now I'm in the process of making spoon holders out of a swim noodle. I cut the noodles at 12"s and I'm going to cut 1/2" dowel rod at 14"s and put the dowel rod through the center of the noodles so a inch of dowel sticks out on each side and put hooks on the engine cover so I can hang my spoons on, I found out if I put the two trebles into the noodle so only 1 hook sticks outward I can load spoons on opposite sides of the noodle it seems like it's a good idea? I guess time will tell if the one hook sticking out will be a pants catchers?LOL. My next project is to turn my Lowrance Elite 7 HDI into a Elite Chirp unit, I contacted Lowrance and they claim it's doable buy downloading off their site onto a chip, need to purchase a card reader, then load the info into the unit. Lowrance was very informative and if I have trouble I should call them and they would walk me through the process. I'm excited to tackle this, I was at first disappointed as only 4 months after I bought the HDI they came out with the chirp and a little later the Elite 9 chirp. In between my little projects I'm snow blowing my driveway, I have already gone through 20 gallons of fuel with my John Deere 318 with a 46" blower, and my walk behind blowing a path to the chicken coop and the bird feeder and the trash cans and of course a area out back for my daughters spoiled rotten beagle so he can go outback and do his business!!! He won't go off the porch if the snow is up to his ding-ding.!!! LOL Counting down the days till the snow melts so I can fire the old girl up to see what for gremlins found a home fix them up and head north for the early Browns then eyes the first Sat. of May.!!!!! Come on SPRING!!!!!

I made a few flies a few weeks ago. Two days ago I ordered some powder paint to try on some homemade spoons. I'm going broke on ordering stuff I don't need. Here it is. Now if it warms up a bit I can try it out, in my garage of course.

post-143614-0-57585400-1424427025_thumb.jpg

Edited by Patriot

Here's my spoon noodles, fits in the cuddy . attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1424339419.671002.jpg

Where are those secret pro troll lures? Nice looking organization! All my spoons are organized and polished, re-tied a pile of flys, need to change oil and do some small boat repairs/ updates. May hit Owasco Sunday.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Last night we took our daughters to Olive Garden for there 10th year birthdays, and everyone was ****ing about the cold so I mentioned a 7 day cruise to Hawaii LOL. and I didn't get the old eye roll and you got to be kidding me right look. Maybe??!!!

I don't know about you guys but the USS Sanity Ship sailed a long time ago for me.

My Fly boxes are about as packed as they can get.

Washed My Rods & cleaned & greased  and relined all my reels.

Going thru the lures I have no confidence in &  putting them in storage.

Well, it helps a tiny bit that a new season of "Wicked Tuna" started last Sunday, but thats only an hour a week. I laugh at every episode, there are so many parallels to our fishery and despite the heated rivalrys anyone of them would risk their life to save one of the others. 

I know hollywood primarily puts out garbage these days, but the movie "American Sniper" is an incredible story and it was directed by hollywood outcast Clint Eastwood. I'm pleased at how well this has done at the box office and its much deeper than what the title would indicate. This is perfect weather to go see this.

The Niagara is locked up like I've never seen before. Currently there is zero access. Lots a snow removal, and firewood work fill the days and praying the March forecast is accurate.

The download and install works out fine as I did it on the day that the update came out (Jan 23rd) but I was unaware that it would make the unit CHIRP capable despite the same update being listed for both the Elite HDI and the CHIRP unit. It would be nice if that is truly the case but knowing Lowrance and their marketing strategies I'm skeptical that the CHIRP would be just a software issue.

Edited by Sk8man

Well, we learned that it does not turn your HDI into a chirp unit, another fellow on this site along with me have been trying to find the truth about this download, according to 1 Lowrance rep that I talked to said and showed me the "how to" on one of Cabelas computers, now mind you I'm not a tech, type so he very well could have been blowing smoke up my but, because this was the same rep. that when I purchased my HDI, I asked is there anything in the making for the near future? He tells me not to his knowledge, four months later here comes the chirp and a few months later a chirp 9. I could of chocked that Lowrance rep. Now by a phone call into Lowrance from another friend of mine he was told the software is different and the downloads are only a "BUG" fix. They are misleading the general public buy this download, because people like me would THINK the just upgraded to a chirp when really they only fixed the bugs. I was very disappointed, but it's a bittersweet thing because I got a good deal on my finder and I really liked it before any of this BS. ever started. So that's our story, if anyone finds something different please let us know. If the other guy wants to elaborate on what Lowrance told him and in turn told me, I will let that up to him, but it's still disappointing, and misleading. At least that's my take of it.

Edited by pap