Starweld

I am looking to buy a new boat in the next 3 or 4 years. I fish mainly the finger lakes but would like to be able to head to Lake Ontario some day. I am looking at the Starweld Fusion 16 DC and the Fusion Pro18 DC. Would the 16 be too small for Lake O? about a $10,000 difference in prices right now. of course alot can change over the next few years! My 40hp on my Tracker died this year so looking to get a small motor to just tie me over for a few years then plan to purchase the new boat. Thank you for all of your help and input!

I own a 2020 starweld 16 dc pro. I can only speak of this boat. As for being sea worthy for it size I think it's greatest attribute. Anyone that remembers the labor day storm two years ago which I do because I got caught off shore about a mile when it hit me. Waves were coming over the windshield and landing on the rear casting deck and running back out of the boat. Sometime before I responded to a post on the same subject sometime in Feb or March of this year. The quality of the work is poor and if your boat has to go back to factory depending on what needs to be done it will never be the same boat again as you remember it. I'm still finding discrepancies from when it was at the factory twice for sub par rivets and to repair the items they missed or created while replacing rivets.  

I wouldn't buy another starweld in this size and would go over a bigger boat with a fine tooth comb before deciding to buy another one. Starweld is made in the smokercraft factory. I wouldn't buy anything coming out of that factory. I'll be up in a month if anyone would like to check out a starweld fusion pro. I will glading point out the flaws in their workmanship. There are some good things about it. I can put it in anywhere. Electric only, 10hp restrictions and unlimited hp bodies of water.n

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 51 Ashton said:

I own a 2020 starweld 16 dc pro. I can only speak of this boat. As for being sea worthy for it size I think it's greatest attribute. Anyone that remembers the labor day storm two years ago which I do because I got caught off shore about a mile when it hit me. Waves were coming over the windshield and landing on the rear casting deck and running back out of the boat. Sometime before I responded to a post on the same subject sometime in Feb or March of this year. The quality of the work is poor and if your boat has to go back to factory depending on what needs to be done it will never be the same boat again as you remember it. I'm still finding discrepancies from when it was at the factory twice for sub par rivets and to repair the items they missed or created while replacing rivets.  

I wouldn't buy another starweld in this size and would go over a bigger boat with a fine tooth comb before deciding to buy another one. Starweld is made in the smokercraft factory. I wouldn't buy anything coming out of that factory. I'll be up in a month if anyone would like to check out a starweld fusion pro. I will glading point out the flaws in their workmanship. There are some good things about it. I can put it in anywhere. Electric only, 10hp restrictions and unlimited hp bodies of water.n

Thank you for that feedback! I may look into another manufacturer, it seems like every company's workmanship has gone downhill in the recent years. pick a company and you will find numerous people who have had major issues with them. Any reccomendations on manufacturers that make a decent 16-18ft boat that would do well on Ontario? I dont plan to take it out there often but the ocasional trip would be nice.

There are a lot of low hour, "weekend warrior" boats out there that haven't seen much water. Winter is on the way, guys don't want to store a boat they hardly use. Good deals can be had... Make sure you drive before you buy..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are not doing anything for several years you have plenty of time to do your research, go to boat shows and ask owners at marinas or boat ramps about how they feel about their particular boat.   As alluded to in the above post, every year boats with low hours come up.  Now that the market has sort of returned to normal, those used boats will start to appear again.

• Thanks 1

A lot of guys like the aluminum boats as far as weight to to and that adds speed to their vessel, I get the old Patsy Kline “blue by you” lol as I’m running a Sea ray fisherman, heavy to tow heavy every which way, therefore I need a tandem axel trailer to put the old girl on and bring north then in the fall back to pa. I live for trolling!! My fiberglass cuddy I took the motor out built a 383 and a 4 bladed prop and I’ll never look back! I see guys out off Stoney Point Lighthouse blowing around like a kite Unless they run a steerable front mount trolling motor. Again I’m bouncing off 25-35mph drinking 93 octane like a soft drink!!! I can troll in 3fters depending how they are spaced… if I throw trolling socks over each side the ankers me to the water. There’s pro’s and con’s to every type of boat…next year I’m putting a Four Winns with a 200hp Johnson on with very little time on it this is a open bow with so much more room spray down deck live wells and dead wells rod storage!! But I have everything but the kitchen sink in the cuddy, from pan fish to king salmon feeling like this is flying solo type of thing. Anyway that’s my perspective of boats!! No matter who you talk to you, your going t get a different perspective of likes and dislikes!!! How handy are you?? Can you repair stuff or not, my uncle has a 16ft Mirrow Craft he loves it personally I wouldn’t give ya $10.00 for it. But he hauls my ass around in it, so it is what it is!!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PAP said:

A lot of guys like the aluminum boats as far as weight to to and that adds speed to their vessel, I get the old Patsy Kline “blue by you” lol as I’m running a Sea ray fisherman, heavy to tow heavy every which way, therefore I need a tandem axel trailer to put the old girl on and bring north then in the fall back to pa. I live for trolling!! My fiberglass cuddy I took the motor out built a 383 and a 4 bladed prop and I’ll never look back! I see guys out off Stoney Point Lighthouse blowing around like a kite Unless they run a steerable front mount trolling motor. Again I’m bouncing off 25-35mph drinking 93 octane like a soft drink!!! I can troll in 3fters depending how they are spaced… if I throw trolling socks over each side the ankers me to the water. There’s pro’s and con’s to every type of boat…next year I’m putting a Four Winns with a 200hp Johnson on with very little time on it this is a open bow with so much more room spray down deck live wells and dead wells rod storage!! But I have everything but the kitchen sink in the cuddy, from pan fish to king salmon feeling like this is flying solo type of thing. Anyway that’s my perspective of boats!! No matter who you talk to you, your going t get a different perspective of likes and dislikes!!! How handy are you?? Can you repair stuff or not, my uncle has a 16ft Mirrow Craft he loves it personally I wouldn’t give ya $10.00 for it. But he hauls my ass around in it, so it is what it is!!!

Thanks for that input! I am always towing back and forth so would prefer the lighter weight. I do alot of my own repairs but this old evinrude has see its last day in the water...

The Starcraft Fishmaster is a wider boat and built specifically for trolling.  Weld over rivets?  Your choice.  I will be selling my aluminum boat when my old Thompson 240 finally gets finished because although the lighter boat is good for towing, the wind will control you.

Seeing that you are out time wise a bit on the purchase, I would recommend talking to as many guys as you can at the ramps.  Also see if you can hitch a ride on some newer boats.  IMO I think you’ll find an 18 or 19 is preferred over a 16 or 17 for bigger water.  With folding tongue trailers getting the longer boat in a garage isn’t the issue it once was.  Another consideration for someone just wanting to fish the Great Lakes once or twice a year is to get a couple guys and charter.  With today’s price of boats, fuel and insurance, it is a viable choice.

• Thanks 1

I bought a 2019 Starweld Victory 20 new.

it was October 2019, the boat was marked down $8000.

I read about Starweld quality issues.

but since the boat cost about $20,000 less than a StarCraft or Crestliner I decided to roll the dice.

so far there have been no issues.

when I went to put downriggers on the gunnels I had to reinforce underneath with aluminum plate, there was no extra material added from the factory.

the Yamaha 150 runs flawlessly, kicker 9.9 same.

now coming from a 19 foot Four Winns the aluminum boat feels like riding on a big cork.

we got caught at Chamont bay when the weather kicked up, the short ride back to Henderson Harbor was intimidating.

I personally would not go on Lake O with less than 20 feet.

I sold my pick up, my Honda Passport will tow this boat, but I really miss fiberglass!

I usually fish the finger lakes, Cayuga can roll pretty good too.

if I were to do it again I would go to a 22 foot fiberglass.

Bob

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sled guy said:

I bought a 2019 Starweld Victory 20 new.

it was October 2019, the boat was marked down $8000.

I read about Starweld quality issues.

but since the boat cost about $20,000 less than a StarCraft or Crestliner I decided to roll the dice.

so far there have been no issues.

when I went to put downriggers on the gunnels I had to reinforce underneath with aluminum plate, there was no extra material added from the factory.

the Yamaha 150 runs flawlessly, kicker 9.9 same.

now coming from a 19 foot Four Winns the aluminum boat feels like riding on a big cork.

we got caught at Chamont bay when the weather kicked up, the short ride back to Henderson Harbor was intimidating.

I personally would not go on Lake O with less than 20 feet.

I sold my pick up, my Honda Passport will tow this boat, but I really miss fiberglass!

I usually fish the finger lakes, Cayuga can roll pretty good too.

if I were to do it again I would go to a 22 foot fiberglass.

Bob

Thanks for that input! I agree Cayuga can get rough and that's why I always check the weather before taking my tracker deepv17 out on it. I will look into fiberglass as well after all of you guys talking about them I worry the price will be considerably higher.

On 8/14/2023 at 11:04 AM, MBarbieri said:

I am looking to buy a new boat in the next 3 or 4 years. I fish mainly the finger lakes but would like to be able to head to Lake Ontario some day. I am looking at the Starweld Fusion 16 DC and the Fusion Pro18 DC. Would the 16 be too small for Lake O? about a $10,000 difference in prices right now. of course alot can change over the next few years! My 40hp on my Tracker died this year so looking to get a small motor to just tie me over for a few years then plan to purchase the new boat. Thank you for all of your help and input!

Went with a buddy in the in Lowes Fishing Machine 1675 Boat in the islands last year and it held up fine and and maxed out with everything including the trailer the boat would come up to $37,000 maxed out and new and is also small enough you could get in hemlock though you could only use the trolling motor

• Thanks 1

I got and old 94 crestliner I sell ya  all welded no rivets fairly good shape for its yr. 115 mariner (Merc) with new 1000 dollar tilt pump. Has Mincota trolling motor on front, fish finder, You can beat the crap out this boat .and she 'll take it!!! new one cost $80,000. Goes 45 mph too.. New bimini with rocket lauchers. Stereo and pee bucket. Perfect for finger lakes shes been to most of em. Calmer days out of Sodas. $8,500 firm

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2023 at 7:55 AM, mr 580 said:

Seeing that you are out time wise a bit on the purchase, I would recommend talking to as many guys as you can at the ramps.  Also see if you can hitch a ride on some newer boats.  IMO I think you’ll find an 18 or 19 is preferred over a 16 or 17 for bigger water.  With folding tongue trailers getting the longer boat in a garage isn’t the issue it once was.  Another consideration for someone just wanting to fish the Great Lakes once or twice a year is to get a couple guys and charter.  With today’s price of boats, fuel and insurance, it is a viable choice.

Mr 580, are you suggesting that someone who fishes only a few times a year charter or asking some buddies to fish along and pay their way?  Actually chartering is NOT a solution because of all the costs involved;  I know because I have been chartering since 1997.  I think it would be easy to get some fishing buddies to fish that part of the lake.

• Like 1

IMO for people that might want to only take a trip or two per year on big water like the Great Lakes by trailering a rig and getting the specialized tackle that the option of hiring a charter is one to consider.  Divide the cost of the charter between several people and it becomes reasonable compared to boat ownership and expense.  Might also allow you to look at a smaller boat for your normal fishing.  Not saying that is what you should do for your situation, but it is an option that shouldn’t be overlooked.

23 minutes ago, mr 580 said:

IMO for people that might want to only take a trip or two per year on big water like the Great Lakes by trailering a rig and getting the specialized tackle that the option of hiring a charter is one to consider.  Divide the cost of the charter between several people and it becomes reasonable compared to boat ownership and expense.  Might also allow you to look at a smaller boat for your normal fishing.  Not saying that is what you should do for your situation, but it is an option that shouldn’t be overlooked.

I agree and that is what I have done in the past. An 18-20' would help on the finger lakes and I troll for trout/Atlantics in the fingerlakes so I don't think it would require much additional gear but that definitely is something to think about.