Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

Punched my tag on a buck I’ve had history with. Had him on camera the last 3 years and I know he is at least a 4 year old deer. Only issue is his rack took quite a step back this year. He always had a funky left side but I was shocked to see it turned into one unicorn antler. Was awesome to finally catch up with him after watching him all this time! He came in this morning trying to bully a little basket rack 5 pt around. I hemmed and hawed all off season on whether I would shoot him if given the chance, well he follows the little basket into my shooting lane at 22 yards and I made my decision 😂 He has a tanker body and a unique rack so I was pleased with my decision. Always nice to take a mature deer with the bow! I’ve included a trail cam pic from last year along with one from this year so you can see the antler downgrade he had. 

Side note, I’m shooting the iron will wides and these broad heads just ZIP through deer. Double lung on him and he didn’t make it 35 yards from the shot site. 

SYEW3023.jpeg

MUD_0084.jpeg

IMG_3574.jpeg

IMG_3572.jpeg

IMG_3565.jpeg

IMG_3594.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, dvdegeorge said:

Had a trespasser arrested to day

He also threatened me in the woods 

Sheriffs cuffed him and put him in the car after he got belligerent with them then the DEC officers showed up to write him up more tickets. He had last year‘s tag hunting with a crossbow, not wear tag ect.

after all the yelling and commotion. The buck from last night came right in front of the camera. I caught him on during daylight unbelievable

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4258.jpeg

IMG_4261.jpeg

Crazy. Im glad you called law enforcement!

Got the text from my kid about 6ish that he arrowed a doe. Told him to sit until dark and call me when he was out of the woods. The shot was a pass through from about 13 yards. He was confident in the shot but felt it was a little back. We gave it 2 hours and headed to the arrow site. Easy to find with the Nockturnal lighting up the woods. No blood at the shot site but the arrow looked and smell of rich blood. I guessed it was all liver. My kid had the direction of travel and found blood about 20 yards. At the end of a very light blood trail was a dead doe. She went about 50 yards. All liver. Great to see my kid back in the game after he's been on the sidelines for a couple of years.

IMG_20231023_202405552.jpg

IMG_20231023_201822309.jpg

• Like 9

FYI... Cameras are dead again and have been for the past 24 hours. 

Well with my tag punched its time to start thinking forward and get some misc hunting things done. Im going to take advantage of the heat of the week to get these things done. That midday time slot should be a perfect time to get in and do what I need to do. Most of what needs to be done can be done by driving to the sites. I should be able to disguise my work as a farmer doing farmer things. 

-1 stand to hang

-1 stand to move

-refresh posted signs along one property line

-cell cam battery swap x2

-1 stand to hang for my father in law

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 9:35 PM, Legacy said:

Got the text from my kid about 6ish that he arrowed a doe. Told him to sit until dark and call me when he was out of the woods. The shot was a pass through from about 13 yards. He was confident in the shot but felt it was a little back. We gave it 2 hours and headed to the arrow site. Easy to find with the Nockturnal lighting up the woods. No blood at the shot site but the arrow looked and smell of rich blood. I guessed it was all liver. My kid had the direction of travel and found blood about 20 yards. At the end of a very light blood trail was a dead doe. She went about 50 yards. All liver. Great to see my kid back in the game after he's been on the sidelines for a couple of years.

IMG_20231023_202405552.jpg

IMG_20231023_201822309.jpg

Congratulations Hunter!!!!

8 hours ago, Legacy said:

FYI... Cameras are dead again and have been for the past 24 hours. 

Well with my tag punched its time to start thinking forward and get some misc hunting things done. Im going to take advantage of the heat of the week to get these things done. That midday time slot should be a perfect time to get in and do what I need to do. Most of what needs to be done can be done by driving to the sites. I should be able to disguise my work as a farmer doing farmer things. 

-1 stand to hang

-1 stand to move

-refresh posted signs along one property line

-cell cam battery swap x2

-1 stand to hang for my father in law

Well I got the posted signs hung and the stand hung for my father in law. Ill be back at it tomorrow with more deer chores.

• Like 1

Well the latest update is that the deer have been fairly active under the cover of darkness for the past 12 hours. Two days of sitting tight and they finally got moving last night. A few pictures of small bucks harassing does too.

My new number 1 did a full on catwalk photo shoot in front of one of my cameras this morning. Like a model walking the run way.

Terrible weather pattern with us. It looks like Halloween before we get some good hunting conditions and it looks like some amazing deer killing weather.