Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

Opening day gun season

The good ...

We the highlight of my day was my kid taking down one of our target bucks. It was a unique deer with a double beam and he was very visible on cameras for us all season. I'm pretty damn impressed with the season he has had!

IMG_20231118_103953428.jpg

40472.jpeg

Screenshot_20231119-073443.png

Opening day gun season

The bad...

Well the morning started with a trespasser to the north of me shooting 14 times before 8am. He's a local guy and he just doesn't care about anything. I walked out about 10am to help my kid with his deer and found my truck was egged. Yes I said egged. I'm making the assumption that one of the neighbor's assumed it was me shooting up the woods right behind houses and was p*ssed. While I was loading my kids deer in my truck I got a picture of a trespasser (assuming it was the same guy) walking passed the stand I was just in. Please make note of the attire.

Ridiculous stuff. 

Screenshot_20231118-112811.png

Here is my buck from yesterday. Very productive day from a deer seen perspective. My group passed on lots of small bucks and does through the morning, until this buck came walking through. Was a bit of a team effort as he essentially got bumped from person to person and I ended on the lucky side with being able to anchor him with a heart shot. A lucky and blessed morning that I got to spend with good people. 

IMG_3916.thumb.jpeg.b1dd6240db3c8c4fbf78cfef395ca1a0.jpeg

IMG_3909.jpeg

IMG_3924.jpeg

• Like 7

November 18 pm

44 degrees

Partly sunny

SW wind 5-10 mph

Well I don't think I need to put a report up about my morning sit but I will make mention that I did see three bucks.

On to my afternoon. Bumped a doe and a small buck walking in just inside the woods. As I kept walking I met them on the other side of this small woods patch. I stopped and watched the small buck run out of sight. just as I went to keep walking i noticed the doe starring at me from about 80 yards away. I put her in the scope to confirm and while I was bringing my gun down my #1 buck walked out. I slowly dropped to one knee but before I could get the gun on him the doe took off along with him right behind her. Chalk it up as a missed opportunity .

Overall on the day I saw 12 bucks and close to 20 does/fawns. I did pass on a decent buck. He passed through fairly quickly and my immediate reaction was to let him pass. Hopefully I don't regret the pass .

• Like 1

Just now, Legacy said:

Some heavy chasing going on in the adjacent property!!!!

Just saw my number 1 target. Nose to the ground, intensely searching out this doe on the adjacent property! Had the gun on him again. 140 yards in a full trot! The heart is pumping!

Hunted state land this am hiked 1.5 miles walk in with the saddle seen some good action.. heard a shot about 400 yards away.. talked to a guy that had a deer stolen yesterday. I guess he shot it when to the truck to drop layers and get stuff talked to a couple guys in the parking lot and went in the woods to a gut pile, got back to the parking lot and someone said a guy just loaded up the deer and left 

23 minutes ago, Roys Boys said:

Hunted state land this am hiked 1.5 miles walk in with the saddle seen some good action.. heard a shot about 400 yards away.. talked to a guy that had a deer stolen yesterday. I guess he shot it when to the truck to drop layers and get stuff talked to a couple guys in the parking lot and went in the woods to a gut pile, got back to the parking lot and someone said a guy just loaded up the deer and left 

That's crazy

8 hours ago, Legacy said:

Opening day gun season

The good ...

We the highlight of my day was my kid taking down one of our target bucks. It was a unique deer with a double beam and he was very visible on cameras for us all season. I'm pretty damn impressed with the season he has had!

IMG_20231118_103953428.jpg

40472.jpeg

Screenshot_20231119-073443.png

Super cool buck! I love the unique ones. Tell Hunter Congrats!

8 hours ago, Legacy said:

Opening day gun season

The bad...

Well the morning started with a trespasser to the north of me shooting 14 times before 8am. He's a local guy and he just doesn't care about anything. I walked out about 10am to help my kid with his deer and found my truck was egged. Yes I said egged. I'm making the assumption that one of the neighbor's assumed it was me shooting up the woods right behind houses and was p*ssed. While I was loading my kids deer in my truck I got a picture of a trespasser (assuming it was the same guy) walking passed the stand I was just in. Please make note of the attire.

Ridiculous stuff. 

Screenshot_20231118-112811.png

Sadly I heard of more of this yesterday than ever before.  Just more of the deterioration of society. Less people willing to give permission,  careless acts committed on public, and private tracts becoming too costly for most  are all contributing to good people leaving the pursuit.

November 19 pm

41 degrees

Partly sunny

WNW wind 15 mph becoming calm

Lots of action this afternoon from the time I sat down up until I went to leave. 12 bucks and 18 does/fawns. Only one mature bucks amongst the group with the other 11 being 1.5 year olds. No doubt there was a hot doe in the north woods. Might have to rethink my plan for tomorrow morning.

IMG_20231119_155006579.jpg