Mercury peeing problem

Mikeyman104

There is your hint. A few seconds after. water floods the whole block or cooling system. to insure you don't cook it. Bigger two strokes take longer to start peein due to bigger heads etc,. Water heats very quickly in out boards.  Can also be partly block up on top. It is not a bypass hole . put your hand on pissing water its hot!!! at least on all mine.

still say the thermostat has nothing to do with water coming out of the pee hole. all the outboards I've owned in the last 45+ years I've been running them the pee hole was flowing almost immediately after the motor starts, and way before the motor heats up enough to open the thermostat. the water out of the pee hole does get hot but that's from going through the lines next to the heads and block and flows through the exhaust that heats the water. it is designed to let the operator know that the pump is working. I have never had a motor overheat because water wasn't flowing out the pee hole. 

I do understand an outboard warms up faster than I/Os but not near fast enough to open a 140 to 165-degree thermostat. the water starts flowing as soon as the motor starts or just a few seconds later as the water has to flow through the lines and exhaust before it starts flowing. and yes, the water is hot as soon as it starts flowing but it gets heated by the exhaust and not a hot motor.

the water flowing through the exhaust is what heats the water. if you watch the water closely you will notice some exhaust coming out also. ask your outboat mechanic what is the purpose of the pee hole. if he doesn't say it is also known as the tell-tell hole and that its only purpose is to show water is getting pumped to the motor then I would switch my mechanics. the exhaust heats the pee-hole water!

LIKE I SAY YOU CAN GOOGLE IT OR JUST ASK YOUR MECHANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have said all I'm going to say on this subject. trust me guys, i would not tell you this stuff if I wasn't sure what I'm talking about being a fact.

we cooked a 6 cycle merc due mud bugs in t stats both sides. Daughter ran with out checking for pee  that was not cheap. The idea is to put the lake which your radiator. into block just like car it has to open a tstat to let it flow.End of story

1 hour ago, Crestliner said:

There is your hint. A few seconds after. water floods the whole block or cooling system. to insure you don't cook it. Bigger two strokes take longer to start peein due to bigger heads etc,. Water heats very quickly in out boards.  Can also be partly block up on top. It is not a bypass hole . put your hand on pissing water its hot!!! at least on all mine.

I'm so sorry to have to disagree with you. but the water coming out of the pee hole doesn't flow through the block and heads. its only purpose is to alert the driver if the pump isn't pumping to the motor. it starts flowing almost as soon as the motor starts and no motor even without water, doesn't warm that fast. it flows through the exhaust and that is what heats the water. 

it is a bypass so the driver will know that water is being pumped to the motor but the water out the pee hole doesn't serve any cooling of the motor and doesn't flow through the motor at all. just ask any reputable outboard mechanic what purpose does the pee hole serve. or better yet just Google it because Google is our friend.  

4 minutes ago, Crestliner said:

Take one apart how the heck does the engine stay cool and why is water for pee hole hot Du

the motor stays cool once it warms the thermostat up to its operating temperature which is around 160 degrees which lets the water through and it cools the motor. and the temperature is controlled by the said thermostat. 

the water out of the pee hole flows through the exhaust and that's what heats it. the pee hole has one purpose and that is to show the driver that the pump is pumping water to the motor and it's just a bypass and serves only that purpose.

the water flows out almost as soon as the motor starts which is way before the thermostat opens letting water through to the motor.

There's a plate between the exhaust manifold and the water jacket.  Exhaust on one side, water on the other.  If that plate wears thin or develops pin holes due to ethanol gas or additives that cause acidic exhaust, then the outflow of water will get hot.  You'll inadvertantly burn some water while running and eventually cook your motor.  (Been there, done that)  Modern engines use a coated/treated plate that resists acidic exhaust.  

Got the new water pump kit in. Gaskets were in the correct order this time and had a friend help me with getting the lower unit back on. I was say, getting the speedometer tube back in its hole is an experience but way easier with 2 people. 

Got the muffs on and fire her up. No water coming out the pee hole for about a min but then it slowly starts to come out. Give her a bit of gas and good stream comes out. Let off the gas and the stream slows down as well, but keeps flowing. Seems to me that this is just normal for her I guess? Everyone/everything pees differently I suppose 

20 hours ago, sherman brown said:

if the empeller was pumping properly it would stay cool even when trolling. you need a new water pump impeller and it will stop overheating when idling.

Impeller and tstat both replaced still over temp alarm after 15-20 min at idle replaced poppet everything was good

39 minutes ago, Dirtyhooker said:

Impeller and tstat both replaced still over temp alarm after 15-20 min at idle replaced poppet everything was good

very happy you got it all figured out. so let me rephrase this. in most cases, the motor won't overheat if the water pump is working properly. if it does you have something else wrong that's causing your problem. the 1st thing to check and replace is the poppet.

I once had  an old evenrude V-4 that had same problem .Would get hot after 10 mins. Did all the stuff mentioned in this topic. Damn thing still got hot . Final pulled heads and found cylinders scored . Lots of friction makes lots of heat even when properly functioning. Motor still ran too. Hope that is not your problem.. I junked it.POS. Probably happened when impeller was damaged and we ran it to long trying to catch one more frickin fish. Ha

2 hours ago, Crestliner said:

I once had  an old evenrude V-4 that had same problem .Would get hot after 10 mins. Did all the stuff mentioned in this topic. Damn thing still got hot . Final pulled heads and found cylinders scored . Lots of friction makes lots of heat even when properly functioning. Motor still ran too. Hope that is not your problem.. I junked it.POS. Probably happened when impeller was damaged and we ran it to long trying to catch one more frickin fish. Ha

I had that problem with a Mercruiser. I smoked the impeller and replaced it. at slow speed, it did great but hammer down and just watch the heat hand rise, I removed lines I removed the outdrive so I could clean the through hull line but nothing I did helped. I had a friend that chartered on Erie and was a part-time mechanic. I called him up and gave him the symptoms and the 1stthing he asked was had I changed the upper housing. I tore it back down and put the kit with the upper housing bottom wear plate and a new impeller in and took it for a test run and all was well.

another thing that can cause one to overheat is something so simple as a blown head gasket.

I'm sorry.  but whole conversation has been a blast.  But I must have been talking about the wrong pee hole ! And by the way milkyman the impeller speeds up and slows down with engine RPM.!!!  Its running off frickin drive shaft!!!and that time it takes to start peein. is the t-stat opening!!!! all 6 of my outboards work that.  Mine are all big 2-strokes even honda 8.8 kicker 4 stroke . Maybe different for new 4 stokes don't know don't have one don't care either.  How did I come to this conclusion? mud bugs plugged up both T-Stats started motor no pee. Took apart both t-stats cleaned water channels and housings. put back together no it pees  aaaaaaaahhhhhh