Canandaigua 9-16-23

Sk8man

Decided to go solo about 8am after rainbows. launched at north end and set up near the pump station on west side. It was pretty breezy so I decided to run just two five leader Seth Green rigs to try out some small Elmer Hinckley spoons I recently received instead of the usual three rigs..

Trolled to just south of Menteth Point and had first hit and run that took out drag but gone when I got to the rod. Checked temps with the X4D. 71.8 surface and 54 degrees at 62 feet. I had set up both rods with the new #87 spoons in gold, hammered gold, hammered silver and plain silver. I was trolling in 200-220 ft of water and varying speeds but 1.9-2.1 at ball seemed best for these particular spoons.  I started getting hammered by 2-3 lb bows and went 9 for 12 on them (all released unharmed). No real big ones but it was a lot of fun with the jumpers etc. Very strong year class apparently and good sized school of them there. I worked it until about 2PM when the wind started making things less fun. The fleas were horrible even some on the probe rigger wire. and they were the fishhook variety so not easy to get off either.  Saw a few other boats working the general area but didn't see whether they did anything.

fleas2.jpg

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 7

Cool Mike. I used to get a lot of those Sheepshead at Mays Point in the old days on those spinning rods with 6 lb test seemed like forever getting them in :lol:

Well I was solo remember....I did start taking pics with my phone and almost dropped it in the water and that ended that. The ones I took weren't great either but i'll post the ones I took. All fish were released in the water by the way. These are the least blurry:lol:

rbow1.jpg

rbow2.jpg

rbow3.jpg

rbow4.jpg

I was in Canandaigua for the weekend and ate at a restaurant on the water last night and they had beer battered walleye as a “daily special”. I didn’t ask the waitress but are there walleyes in the lake? The harbor was beautiful and I’d like to visit again but I have never fished Canandaigua.

Greenhornet there used to be Walleyes in here a long time ago but for many years I never heard of any being caught until recently when a friend who is a guide out here caught a good one in his boat. the thinking is that it may have been introduced into the lake from elsewhere.

Hard to tell if it was a "one of" or not.

By the way for rig fanciers I don't run my rods in the rigger holder it was just there while I was cleaning the fleas:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Will do thanks Ted. :lol: Anthony.  The leaders have spring clips (homemade) at the end which snap to the bead chains so it is just a matter of setting the rod in the holder while I hand line the leaders in. It can be a bit hectic when either 2 fish are on one rig or there are fish on two rigs at once:smile: Usually I run three rigs even solo. I use 40 ounce weights that I get from Troutman87 (Harvey) and they work great. I coat them with Plastidip to minimize lead contact and prevent boat scratches.

springclip1.JPG

40ozwht.JPG

openclip.JPG

Edited by Sk8man