Adding a kicker fuel line

I was reading through some old posts, specifically the one below, and I liked the idea of adding a fuel water separator to my boat and then tie the kicker to the separator. My boat doesn't currently have a separator on it, so I'm wondering where the best location to install one is on my 196 starcraft superfisherman. I was thinking of putting it around here in the back where the fuel line comes out, but can it be exposed like this and are there other considerations I should be taking into account that I'm missing? 

20240303_144900.jpg

I have seen a lot of installs where they are located on the side of the splashwell so I dont think that is a problem.  Mine is tucked away underneath but i had the room to get my hands down in there.  May want to consider a few things. The first being a 4 way valve so you can turn fuel on and off for each motor separately. (and also on for both at the same time.)  Label it so you dont forget which one is on for both motors or your kicker will die right after you have all your rods set. I know this from experience! The other is getting a fuel water separator that has a clear bottom so you can see if there is water in there. The one I have you can't see so i really have no idea if there is water in there or not.  Once they are full they dont work anymore.  Seems intuitive but worth mentioning if you cant tell by looking at it.  I unscrew mine and dump into something clear so I can see if there is water in there a couple times a season.

• Thanks 1

I have the clear bottom unit on my Mako CC.

2ins and 2 outs on the mount.

Easy to plumb. 
Hard connected to the main and the normal Yamaha line to the kicker.

Would post a picture but boat is still in storage.

It does work very well.

Yes, I did this last year and it worked out great.  The only thing to remember is after you shut off one motor, firm up the fuel line bulb before firing up the other motor because the fuel gets drawn out of that line. Very easy to install and only takes 10 minutes.  Make sure you install the water separator high enough so you can point the bulb up while priming it. 

Edited by greenhornet73

I looked in to the clear bottom units, similar to an old sediment bowl, and as I recall they are are not recommended for an install in an enclosed area.

Thanks all! Just got my kicker on the back of the boat and looking to put the F/W separator on sometime this week or weekend. Think there in the splash well will work based off of the input above so that'll be its home. Think I'll also put a couple check valves in the "out" gas lines to help prevent the motors stealing gas from each other too. Again, greatly appreciate the inputs and the responses, thanks all!

4 hours ago, BC FD said:

Think I got nipples from West Marine with built in check valves.

There called anti siphon valves & that's best way to set it up. 

Well got it on tonight. Not the cleanest install but it's on there. Have 1 "in" port and 2 "outs" on the separator, with the other "in" blocked off. Tossed a couple check vales on the "outs" as well and clamped the heck out of everything. Put some gas in the separator and started up the main. Ran it for about 5 and did good. Next, fired up the kicker for the first and let her run for a bit too. All seems to be working.

Couple of questions for you all though. Do you all trailer your kicker around with it tilted up or down? Think down is the way to go. 

Also, how you get more wires through the gasket things?

20240315_182056.jpg

20240315_184610.jpg

20240315_191619.jpg

I ran mine off the second outlet on the F/W separator to my kicker. I'm not 100% positive on this but I read someplace that legally I had to have a manual shutoff valve on the line going to the kicker. I haven't installed it yet but before she goes back on the water it will have the manual shutoff valve installed.

Kicker down for sure.  I would not trust mine tilted up at all.  She's old and there's a good amount of leverage on the bracket in the up position.  I use  a pull tight strapped to a cleat and around the bracket for the steering arm.  A ratchet strap around the whole thing would be better.

it doesn't really matter on ours. I use a Panther electric tilt on our boat and when we installed our motor we tightened the clamps down as tight as we could get them with both the little handles facing inward then placed a lock through the opening on the handles. plus we drilled two of the mounting holes out on the tilt bracket and installed SS bolts. it would be a total pain to even manually remove our kicker.

Well after getting my motors running, this cold weather stretch got me worrying so figured I'd bring my kicker indoors and then trim my main all the way down. Turns out, all the way down is below grade, even with the trailer jack down too. Ended up putting the boat in the yard and digging a hole under it to get it down. How's everyone else get their motor all the way down? Didn't think I had a long shaft main motor but maybe. Never actually measured it

20240320_174944.jpg

20240320_174950.jpg

Mine just touches the ground but sometimes have to dig a little trench when it gets muddy and the trailer tires settle a little too much.  You can also leave it up and double bag it with garbage bags and tie it down with some twine to keep the snow and rain out.

• Thanks 1