Best port for kings July 4th weekend

I was hoping to get some intel for fishing Kings July 4th week.  I currently have a place reserved in Olcott, but I was at a fishing show recently and a guy at one of the booths said that week is traditionally not great for kings.  He said that time of year is mainly steelhead out of that port.  

I am driving 9 hours to get to Olcott and want to go to a port with the best opportunity.  i can change my plans and go farther east if that is what is needed.  If the Candian shoreline is better that time of year, I can do that as well.  

I'm hoping maybe I was given some bad info; I don't know.  

thank you

Edited by Cat Power

3 hours ago, Cat Power said:

I was hoping to get some intel for fishing Kings July 4th week.  I currently have a place reserved in Olcott, but I was at a fishing show recently and a guy at one of the booths said that week is traditionally not great for kings.  He said that time of year is mainly steelhead out of that port.  

I am driving 9 hours to get to Olcott and want to go to a port with the best opportunity.  i can change my plans and go farther east if that is what is needed.  If the Candian shoreline is better that time of year, I can do that as well.  

I'm hoping maybe I was given some bad info; I don't know.  

thank you

Olcott, Oak Orchard, Bald Eagle, Sandy Creek are all amazing choices. Niagara, Orleans, and western Monroe County are the place to be in July.

• Like 3

Took a charter last year out of Olcott last 4th , 4 of us had limit by 10:30 ,I was kind of bummed it ended so quick . I guess I wanted to learn more.1 brown the rest kings up to 19 lbs.Staight out front 200-240’ of water .

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this info!  When is the best time (range) for kings?  Thinking of setting up a trip from NE Ohio with some friends. Would appreciate any recommendations anyone is willing to share!

Edited by Super G

2 nd week in July to 1st or 2nd week in Aug  midlake .Oak , to Sandy . Weather is usually pretty stable then .

After that the majority of kings start to migrate east to the Salmon river . If you find them you can have good days . But you also start to get the winds of Aug which can keep you off the lake then .  

Honestly, you can find kings out of any port early July- it's often an offshore bite, so be prepared to cover water.  Oak, olcott, sandy are all well fished ports with much more networking/info sharing than other ports, so guys tend to do well there for sure