best downriggers

I have Vector's with double rod holders, they rip up 15 pound balls like nothing. I have the older series not the heavy metal series I got used, they were owned by a charter captain so they got alot of use and they are still going strong, haven't been repaired once, all aluminum construction so nothing to break. I don't know if they are the best but they are solid..real solid riggers and would say they are up as far as being one of the best but I'm just one guy with an opinon but from what I've seen, read and heard, everyone is happy with them.

Kind of a ford/chevy/dodge thing. I had Cannons for years, they were fine riggers. Switched to Scottys and never looked back. You can take my Scottys when you pry them from my cold, dead hands ........ I mean transom :)

Tim

I agree with Tim...It's all personal preference. The Big 3 of Cannon/Scotty/Big Jon will all work well for you, especially with the new 20 lb downrigger weights some guys are using. From the above post, it also sounds like Vectors will handle up to 15 lb weights too. I'm not sure how the new Walkers handle the heavier weights. The new Cannons are the fastest riggers on the planet....250fpm with a 20lb weight, and an amazing 291fpm with an 8 lb weight. I have Cannon Mag20DT/TS on my boat and wouldn't consider anything else.

I have a set of Scottys I bought and put on a friends boat and used in Lake Champlain. When I boat my new/used boat it came with mag 10's. In all fairness the mag 10s are older but boy are they slow. I will be putting my Scottys on the new boat and give the mag 10s to my friend. PJ

ive gt 4 cannons from 1987 they ant the fastest in the world and now that ive rewired the 22 yr old connections they work pretty good. but the best riggers you can have are the ones that are on the boat that you are fishing out of (unless there hand crank)...There all good once you get used to the ones you are using...,unless your fishing a derby where every 10th of a second counts a little slower unit will get the ball to the boat in time to redeploy by the time your ready to reset your rod.

From 1979 until 2007 I had Cannons they were great, if you can buy Cannons from the 80' or early 90's get them and get an extra for parts. When I realized that parts for the old Cannons were going to be phased out and hard to get, I "upgraded" to the new ones, white with steel spools very fast but they had proplems with counter/spool ratio. When I put all three riggers to the same depth on the counter, they were at different depths in the water and the margin of error was +/- 11 feet!! That is not good!!! Cannon's new customer service "Send them back to us and we will take a look at them and get them back to you within 4 weeks" that was the 3rd week of July and I had 30 charters to run in the next 4 weeks. To disagree with Ray's comment of the best riggers are the ones on the boat your fishing on, these Cannons made fishing misserable I got rid of them FAST and bought Big Jon's (if you want my full opinion on Cannon.humminbird pm me)

The Big Jons did the trick, but little things bugged me, like counter springs jumping off and having to reset counters, cable back lash cause I couldn't get used to the lift arms and the brute went too fast for me.

I replaced them with Scotty's and I (Mr. Fussy) have had NO problems with them they set easy, have accurate counters and are plenty fast. I still think they look more like a toster than a rigger, but they have been solid!!

I would recommend Scotty's. I had a set of old electric Proos and they were good riggers if you can find them.

So to recap

New buy Scotty

Used buy Cannon but beware you can't get some parts (if you buy old Mag 10's you may never need parts)

Used buy Proos electric

Those are the only ones I will comment on because they are the only ones that I have extensive experience with.

CC

Just my $.02 worth here...I have the White Tourney Series riggers (Cannon Mag 20 DT/TS) and I've found them to be not only smokin' fast, but dead-nuts reliable. The counters on mine are just as they should be...spot-on every time. The only issue I've had with the riggers was when I yanked on a boom to extend it and broke the compression collar....my fault! One quick call to Cannon customer service (outstanding by the way) and they replaced the entire boom for me at no charge, even though it was my fault it broke. I had the replacement part in less than a week. I also have two full seasons of experience with Humminbird products and can't say enough good about them. If you want the opinion of someone who's used them extensively, feel free to PM me.

That being said, any of the major downrigger brands will serve you well for year to come.

The plot thickens, ask 10 people get 10 completely different responces, I know some walleye guys that are pro staffers from H-Bird/Cannon and I get the "real" scoop and everything I've been told they have been rock solid on everything from products to support on both the rigger end and the electronics end, alot of my Erie buddy's run Cannon's and love them, a friend has digi trolls who I fish with alot, he has had some issues but the service on getting them fixed has been great, he hasn't complained once. I know all the guys switching from Lowrance to H Birds in the walleye world are glad they switched, service is A-1

I will also protest to the quality and great customer service of hummingbird and cannon.. This past season when i was installing my new sonar/gps I decided i didnt need directions and installed the thing.. all went well other than the piece that holds the cables in the unit was not installed (I gave it one of the, what the hell is this thing for? and threw it in the trash).. well I called HB and they had one to me in 2 days free of charge :yes::yes:

After running Scottys for 14 or 15 seasons I've only needed there customer service twice. Once I swung into a gas dock and broke some plastic housing parts and had them at my door in 5 days. Could have had them overnight if I needed to.

Another time out at the Niagara Bar I had a Scotty rookie on board and he retrieved a plastic bag up into the front roller and sheared a drive gear and smoked a belt. I made a call over the radio to see if my buddy had any spare parts on his boat. I received a call from Yvan on Get It Wet charters who told me he was a Scotty rep. and asked what parts I needed. I told him and he took one of his riggers apart and floated over the parts to me in a plastic bag. Replaced them on the water and back in business. Now THATS customer service. :D

Also I've noticed every year I go up and down the Little Salmon river there are more and more boats switching over to Scottys.

Thats a pretty good endorsment.

Glen

Tim said:
Hey look at that, Carl and I agree on something

We agree on many levels Tim, it will continue as you upgrade your equipment. It took me 3 trys to find the right rigger & you are still searching for and in denial about the right temp speed unit!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

CC

Not at all Carl. I had the inferior unit previously and then I ash-canned that one and got a Depth Raider. All is right with the world now!!! :yes::yes::yes::P:P:P

Tim

I agree with Ray.

Whatever brand you are using, and as long as they do not give you trouble, those are the best ones.

My old Mag 10's just keep on truckin'.

Sure I had to put a couple of bucks into them over the years, but not of any real consequence.

Just happy to have the equipment to chase these fish around. :)