Painting an Aluminum boat

Jax

I am looking at getting my 21 ft Lund Re painted. It is a 1987 with an updated interior but the exterior shows its age. Im curious as a cost of what im getting into. Ballpark range to get a nice updated paint scheme then I will re apply some Lund Vinyl Graphics to keep the factory look.

Any information would be great, if you know any places that do them or a friend that does good work?

Thanks in advance

Head down to the city of Rochester. There are some great artist down there looking for work in this tough economy. Most of their profiles are displayed on bridge pillars, rail cars, and outside walls of buildings. Some of the best art I have ever seen.

OK, there is my Ray comment for the month!

Jax

I had a Starcraft I restored. I painted it with Marine enamel and a small 4" foam roller . It came out like glass, you couldn't tell it wasn't sprayed. Went to PepBoys and bought some pin striping , the boat looked great when it was done . Just be sure to use some aluminum primer on any bare spots. Got the idea from this web site- http://www.sailingworld.com/sailing-gea ... 00727.html

(didn't use the brush just the roller)

Just a thought! Good Luck !

JT

Clean bare aluminum needs a wash primer, then after an hour drying, use a primer. Then paint your finish coat. For the bottom, especially if you leave the boat at the dock, do not use any paint with cuprous oxide as the copper reacts with the aluminum. Painting an aluminum boat is different than glass or steel. Do not depend on the minimum wage guys at a marine store for guidance. Search the internet for guidance on painting aluminum boats.

Painted my 18' starcraft with Sunfire two part urethane,from Sherwin williams automotive division.If you want a bullet proof paint that will last for years and years.this stuff is incredible,although expensive. they use it on airplanes and fleet trucks.

It does however need to be sprayed.I stripped the boat to bare aluminum,then shot it with a vinyl etching primer,followed by a coat of jet seal sealer,then the finish coat of Sunfire.

I ran that boat hard for twelve years,and it looked as good when i sold it,as it did the day after I painted it.

Another option as mentioned is to apply a good brushable two part marine urethane,like Interlux Perfection,or Epifanes two part urethanes,they have beautiful gloss,and are very durable.They can be applied with the roll and tip method,that will give close to sprayed look,and last for a very long time.

These are definitely do it yorself paints with a pro finish.

I you plan on keeping the boat for some time you might want to checkand see if there is a shop that does powder coating. It is the toughest finish I know of that will stand up to dock rash and all around abuse. I have a 2003 22' that looks like brand new even after backing over and knocking down my corral fencing twice. :rofl: Mcquires boat wax and polish keeps it clean and makes it sparkle.

• 3 weeks later...
I am looking at getting my 21 ft Lund Re painted. It is a 1987 with an updated interior but the exterior shows its age. Im curious as a cost of what im getting into. Ballpark range to get a nice updated paint scheme then I will re apply some Lund Vinyl Graphics to keep the factory look.

Any information would be great, if you know any places that do them or a friend that does good work?

Thanks in advance

Jax, do you know anyone in the Auto body painting business.....they might be able to help you with the factory look!!

• 9 months later...

hey jax- from my old job i know lots of painters that use urethanes and could spray for you. i have a compressor but no big gun to do it or i would just paint it for you. call me @ 585-414-0138 and i can give you some ph #'s but it may not be too cheap. i have thought about doing it for some time also. i need to use some gluvit for a small rivet leak also.