Bow Buck 2010

Legacy

Friday November 12

34 degrees w/ heavy frost, SW wind 5-8, clear skies

Well after 3 bow seasons of watching traveling bucks pass by me 30 yards out of bow range i finally got aggressive and changed one of my sets. I was unsure if the payout was worth the risk, until today, when this 8 pt gave me 2 opportunities to shoot him. About 7 am i heard a stick break behind my left shoulder and saw this guy coming through the woods. I quickly grab the bow and came to full draw anticipating his exit from the thicket. When he reach the face of the thicket he stopped and paused. It might have been the longest minute ever for me in the woods but he finally put his head down and entered the clearing. I placed my 30 yard pin behind his shoulder and touched the release only to witness my arrow fly in front of his chest about 2 feet. Not sure which branch was to blame but... a clean miss. Only slightly startled (him not me), he turned away from me and began to seek out what had made that noise in the grass, and eventually found my arrow. He quickly lost interest and began to fiercely work a nearby scrape (as i sat 40 yards away in defeat). After he was done with the scrape, (and to my amazement) he turned 180 degrees and started walking right back towards me. At 25 yards i stopped him with a mouth grunt and redeemed myself with an arrow through both lungs. I watched from the stand as the buck went down after no more than 20 yards.

016-2.jpg

Wow,nice buck!...hate those long minutes waiting for the right shot. Standing in range, full draw, trying not to breath, wobble, shake, blink, eyes watering, gotta pee, etc etc. Buck probably thought the sound of the arrow in the grass was a nut or Apple falling for him to eat...curiosity got the better of him to see what he missed..came back....bad idea for him! Great story!...reminds me of last years episode. Only mine was not so curious..still running I think LOL..deerless again.

Mark

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Nice buck, Rob. I got a second chance last year too, after my arrow confused sports and decided it was a football...field goal! I'd triggered my release with my glove when the bow was pointed about 10 yards above the deer. Gotta love bucks in rut!