Rod Holders

IA bowhunter

I have been searching for rod holders this winter for my boat. With somewhat of a budget, I have found Greatlakes rodholders quad tree on a track system for a decent price. Does anyone have these and what are your likes/dislikes with this setup. I like the cannons, and heard a lot said about the new cannons but they are a lot more pricey and I have a few more things I would like to buy for the boat.

I have also been looking at used rod holders Big Johns, cannon's among others with or without the track system but I havent found much online.

Any thoughts preferences what everybody uses and their likes dislikes. Should I just suck it up and pay for Cannons with the track system.

The ones on my boat now are Tite Loks and I NEED to upgrade!

Paul

Paul, i recently invested in the tracks system as well, i went with the berts track system. i will be purchasing more rod holders for the tracks soon. and more tracks as well. i have the ratcheting rod holder, and they are awesome when it comes to getting the dipsy out of the rod holder. especially for the shorter guys who cant get the rod out of the holder :lol: . i had tite locks on my sea ray, after using the tracks system and the ratcheting rod holers, nothing compares to them. Also, you mentioned GLP, i currrently am waiting on my new rocket launcher to be completed from them. i cant wait to get it!! Captains Hard top special :)

bass pro has the tracks system but you might find it cheaper here : http://www.shopatron.com/products/produ ... .0.0?pp=8&

nick

I was at a swap meet in Erie on Saturday and saw 2 sets of used big jon dual rod holders. Capt Dan from Buckets charter http://www.bucketscharters.com

had them on his table think he wanted $50.00/set don't think he sold them. Also saw the guys from Craigs rodholders with some of their demo models at really nice prices.

I picked up 2 sets of the craigs. If you haven't seen the craigs holders I'd give them a look. Very solid and adjustable without tools. They also make one that fits in the berts track. http://www.craigrodholders.com They had some smokin deals at the show, you might want to give them a call to see if they have any of the demos left.

Good luck.

I think good rod holders are worth their weight in gold. If I were you I'd save up and buy the best quality you can, instead of settling for something cheap or a mix and match of various makes/models. I would also think through exactly where and how many rod holders would fit your fishing needs.

I run Big Jon on my boat and I have two individual Heavy Duty Dipsy RH's on each side along with a double pedestal on each gunwale (see pic)

Advantages of Big Jon: I don't think there is a stronger Dipsy (Heavy Duty) rod holder on the market. Easy to clean and find parts, excellent ratchet function without the need of any set screws, tools, etc. to adjust. Very easy to mount and remove each season. I also think they look cool.

Disadvantages: the RH's do not "rotate" like the newer Cannon dual axis, so you basically have just a 180-degree forward and back range of motion, lack of a track system (each rod holder or base pedestal needs four holes to be drilled for the mounting plate), the caps occasionally pop off and have to be re-glued.

Overall, I would buy them again in a heartbeat, especially the Dipsy holders.

Good luck,

- Chris

closeup.jpg

I have some of the large anglers pal 10 " . Had them for more than 25 years & they are still like new. 360 rotation and firm. I adjust And crank down on the knob as hard as I can & never had a problem even w/ dipsies . Had a few cheapies at first & lost a nice outfit to lake monster so do not play that game.

For the spring time, I use the big jon quad tree...like it. For summer and fall fishing, I use the berts rod holder stystem and like that too. Many great choices out there. Good luck finding what works for you!

I own Traxtech equipment (tracks, adjustable and fixed rodholders, downrigger swivels, net holders, and planer reels) and love it. I've used Berts adjustable rodholders on a friend's boat and like them too. The only reason I chose Traxstech over Bert's is I like the textured finish of Traxstech better. Cannon didn't have the new rodholders when I bought and Cisco's were too expensive.

Check out all the major brands and get what you want. I don't think I've heard a bad thing about any of them, Cannon, Bert's, Big Jon, Traxstech, or Ciscos. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them.

Good luck,

Had the Berts track and rod holders on my old boat and the new one has it too. I like the flexability that the track system adds. I like the racheting rod holders and have had no problems to date. The cannon rod holders are nice and the dual axis is sweet. I'm sure that the traxtech setup is equally good.

I second the above posts in buy good stuff once, I'm sure that you won't regret it.

Jeff

Thx for all the responses. I am going to check out all the big names and figure out what I like best, it sounds like everybody is happy with the big names. I just saw on E-Bay the Great lakes planers rod holders for a very reasonable price but you usually get what you pay for.

Nick I might get in touch with you one of these days and check out the Bert's.

Paul