Favorite spoon for northern pike

When I was a kid my father and uncles would swear by silver Red Eye Wigglers and red and white Dardevles. But I came to believe than spinners would outcatch spoons anyday because they move slower and more regularly and are easier for the pike to chase down. Just my opinion.

I'm with Capt. Larry on this one, Johnson Silver Minnow. I tip them with a large plastic curly tail worm threaded onto the wire guard all the way up with the tip of the worm right up to the front of the spoon totally covering the wire and bury the hook point in the worm. TOTALLY weedless in the thickest slop. Also helps on snaggy bottoms like creeks with a lot of wood in them.

I know it is kinda of irony with this post from everyone on here. Since everyone named everything on spoons. Meanwhile my favorite lure for pike was little 3 1/2 or 4 inch chug bug popper (rattle and tiger color) and 4 inch white fluke. Its very effective for me. I caught tons of them when I was fishing behind my house along with several lakes at Massachusetts. :yes:

But since it is "NY forum," :lol: I cannot say anything because I haven't caught single pike during open season except ice-fishing in which it was live bait. 8)

I know it is kinda of irony with this post from everyone on here. Since everyone named everything on spoons. Meanwhile my favorite lure for pike was little 3 1/2 or 4 inch chug bug popper (rattle and tiger color) and 4 inch white fluke. Its very effective for me. I caught tons of them when I was fishing behind my house along with several lakes at Massachusetts. :yes:

But since it is "NY forum," :lol: I cannot say anything because I haven't caught single pike during open season except ice-fishing in which it was live bait. 8)

Do you mean this one-

http://www.vimageoutdoors.com/servlet/t ... Bug/Detail

Not a spoon but a good pike lure, you are right about that. Good for lots of fish, bass, pike, stripers, muskies, even bonefish and tarpon.

Hey, it's winter so why not wander a bit?

Deaf Fishernman, I wish I knew your real name, I am Dan in Leicester, N.Y.

If you like pike I'd like to go fishing with you on Silver or Conesus this season.

I live halfway between Silver and Conesus.

If you like muskies I have a family cottage on Chautauqua.

I have read some of your posts, you seem to enjoy the fishing thing more than some that make it too much like work!

I know where you are coming from, my wife is hearing impaired.

When my father and I used to do the fly-in outpost trips to Canada we tried just about all of the spoons out there. We ended up using the 1 oz Mepps Cyclops in bright colors (orange) as it seemed to catch us the most fish. Just my 2 cents but they all catch fish at the right times.

I have the picture but It is not kinda of catch release picture. Since I forget camera at home so I put pike into bucket and drive home. When I got home, I did snapped a picture of it. Then drive back to that lake to released it. Lucky, it was still alive because it was slapped my face when I tried to released it. :devil: lucky, he was swimming freely.. :lol:

But in the end, i was happy to see that pike was in healthy shape when it was let it go.

I am not sure if I still have that picture but I'll looking for it. Hopefully, I still have it. Since it was one of my roommate's phone that took picture of my fish.

DSCN1543.jpg

Lucky, my roommate still have this. It was really fast. lol. I just asked my roommate and he said he still have it and sent to my phone. now, it is here. :)

start drooling now! :lol: Anyway, it was nice to catch that size pike on ice fishing. It is still my biggest one so far. My second biggest one probably 30 or 31 incher Pike in Massachusetts. :yes:

Wow. Lots of responses. I don't know why I like these lures; but I do. Maybe its the simplicity of using a curved piece of metal to catch fish. My basics are all one ounce: Dardevls, Len Thompsons, Mepps Cyclops, and Luhr-Jenson Crocodiles. I haven't tried the Luhr-Jensons yet, but look forward to it. I've got some larger ones: Lindy Gator Spoons; 1 and 1/8 ounce Len Thompson; Cabella's Casting Spoon; and Lucky Strike Half Wave. Haven't tossed the Lucky Strike yet. Look forward to it. Would love to be on a lake where you only toss the big metal all day. But wouldn't we all. Oh well...