Shed Collapse - Possible Boat Damage

Hope everyone is bearing the winter time well!

My father called me today to let me know that the roof of his shed had collapsed... the shed my boat is sitting next to and all my fishing equipment is in. I can't tell from any of the pictures if there was any boat damage, but I can clearly see a large tear in the tarp over the boat. So my question is... if there is a large score mark in the boat and/or a lot of my fishing equipment is damaged... how does this work with insurance? Will they cover it since the boat is in my name and property in his? Anyone gone through this process? I haven't been able to get a hold of my father to have him check under the tarp... but I know my luck.... :(

IMG_05551.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

Nick

Usually a home owners insurance covers the the entire property within a certain footage limitation.

In this case,your father's shed (property) caused damage to your property while on his property.It will probably be covered,but before making any claims it is a good idea to check the cost of repair (if any) because there often is a fairly high deductible and by making a claim you may end up getting a small amount from the insurance while having to pay most of it yourself and causing the coverage cost to go up.

Your own homeowner insurance agent is the one to contact. Your own policy should cover your property wherever it is stored, subject to the limits of your policy. I don't think your father's policy will cover your goods. Also check with your boat insurance carrier for possible coverage. But the first thing to do is to determine what, if any, damage there is and then take pictures and call the agents for advice.

That blue bike is his pier fishing ride :D .

The bike is for my handicapped sister.

My father went out and looked under the tarp and says he doesn't think the boat was hit. I'm headed up tonight to check. The rods are definitely going to be in bad shape, but I'm hoping the reels are ok. My father told the insurance agent the reels were $150 each and rods were $100 each :@ So hopefully, it's not too late to correct that. We're not sure if we're going to file the claim yet or not... I need to look at it when I get up there tomorrow. I'm more worried about trying to safely take the shed down without hitting the boat... there's too much snow to move the boat. My father wants to throw a tarp over it and leave it until spring....

Nick

Could a couple sheets of plywood between the boat & shed protect the boat until the shed can be removed? You'll probably want to do something like that anyway sooner or later during the removal process.

Sorry for your delemma.

Thanks for the kind words Vince.

Stinger, that's not a bad idea. When I get up there tomorrow I'll have to take a look. If nothing else, it might at least prevent the sharp metal edges from hitting the boat if something goes wrong.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update... got lucky, the shed collapsed in and not towards the boat. The fishing rods actually poked a hole in the roof and are sticking out now (they sure build ugly sticks tough!). I'm guessing the rods will need to be replaced. For now, we just tossed a tarp over the shed until the snow melts enough to move the boat. Once the boat is moved we'll tear the shed apart and insurance said they'll replace anything damaged inside the shed.

Nick

Not suing my father :) Whatever he gets from the insurance company goes to building a better shed. I told him I'd split the additional costs if he got one big enough to fit the boat in, but I don't think he's willing to do that lol.

Nick