spoonfed shakedown 3-19-11

Well we got a late start after getting Glen's boat out and changing the kicker oil, filter, gas filter, and plugs.

It was a bumpy ride out of Mexico Bay and slow at first until Glen found em. But then we did find them, and they were hungry!

We ran spoons and sticks and managed around 15 hits boating 11 or 12.

We kept a few nicer ones and let the rest go. All browns today plus 2 bonus rainbows which were let go.

Here is Glen with 2 of the good ones.

Image03192011190134.jpg

About mid part of the afternoon we get a hit on the inline board.

I start reeling it in and it dives under fast. I let it go and even though the drag was peeling I felt it pop! :no:

Aw crap, sure enough I reel in the line with everything gone... ;(

Well lets see if we can spot the board and at least get that back.

We turned around and searched for the board for a long time but to no avail. :@

We turn back around and start trolling again and I spot the board....weird, we been looking in that spot for a long time!

We both figure there may still be a fish attached, sure enough we dip it up in the net and I start hand reeling it in.

It feels like a big fish! But it was a long lead and all the way under the boat out the other side so it was real tricky.

Finally get it to the boat and about 2 feet from the net and pop! Line breaks and fish and lure gone! AARGH!

So Glen tells me I should have had my rod tip up and the drag was set too tight on my hand line! :D

Only bad thing was Glen tells me it was a big fish cause he almost got it when it broke off. ;(

I assume you were running fluro leader Glen? I have been having trouble with the lighter fluro breaking as well. Green #15 mono from now on. Rodney.......you are like CNN News........you are everywhere!