Lake trout set-ups

Hammerhead cowbells with spin n glows. For cowbells, crystalina, mt dew, and all silver. As for spin n glows, white and glow are my favorites. Peanuts work good but not as good as spin n glows.

Thumper rigs with cowbells and spin'glows, Dodger/flies in white color, sping docs in double glow and green flies, thin spoons like mag mich. stingers with a lighter siawash replacement. Don't go over 2 mph.

Brian nailed it - I have these tied up with florocarbon but it isnt essential. Snell up a treble, or a singe hook and run a few beads, then the spin glow/peanut. Tie approx 24-36 inches and run behind the cowbells. This rig is deadly for LT's near the bottem trolling under 2 mph. The size 5 cowbells are good but all sizes will take fish sometimes the smaller blades will take bigger fish so Dont skimp on the hooks, or your snell.

Good luck-

For a number of years now the Suick Wrangler, off copper line has been my deadliest set up. The CKJ-1 sucker, CKJ-6 Erie Walleye and the CKJ-8 Bait fish down speed of no more than 1.9

i2rpqw.jpg

2u8vsds.jpg

2myaykj.jpg

27yx5dv.jpg

2n00rgi.jpg

hx6is3.jpg

For a number of years now the Suick Wrangler, off copper line has been my deadest set up. The CKJ-1 sucker, CKJ-6 Erie Walleye and the CKJ-8 Bait fish down speed of no more than 1.9

i2rpqw.jpg

2u8vsds.jpg

2myaykj.jpg

27yx5dv.jpg

2n00rgi.jpg

hx6is3.jpg

• 7 months later...
Will cowbells with spin n glows work in the finger lakes for trout also? Fishing seems to be fairly the same just smaller fish and shallow water.

Yes is the simple answer though I think you can run much faster w/ spinnies & flies, still get the Lts & run spoons for the silvers at the same time. If you are into blades (somehow that didn't quite sound right) check out Hammerhead Charters custom blades and don't forget BW's grease traps!

run anything green 5 t 10 ft off the bottom....troll for a little bit put boat in neutral let your spoon of flasher and fly sink for 10 sec put boat back in gear and the rods will pop all day long.....heck you can do this trick with salmon and get those pesky followers to hit....

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

There are different sizes but they all work

Spike just a treble hook (and uusuaally a few colorful beads before it) behind the peanut or Spin n Glow

Hold on....I'll take some pics of setups for you to scope out and maybe it will be clearer.

1 pic - Light weight hammerhead cowbells in sizes 3 and 5

2 pic - conventional cowbells (formerly called "flashers")

3 pic- "beercan cowbells with a Twin Minnow (used like peanuts for lakers)

4 pic - Spin -N-Glow used like a peanut behind the cowbells

Attached Thumbnails
  • hammerheadcowbells.jpg
  • conventional.jpg
  • beercan.jpg
  • spinNglow.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the hammerhead cowbells and Northern King Lake trolls and others use 3 big blades where as the Luhr Jensen Dave Davis has a total of 7 blades (3 big ones and 4 medium). Is this overkill? Do most of the Lake Trout guys use 3 big blades only or maybe 5 smaller ones? I really like the fact that these cool lakers swim off to the depths after release unlike the rest of the trout/salmon family. Just a little help revives them and they live on for maybe another 10-20 years.

The 7 blade Luhr Jensen Les Davis cowbells (were once called flashers) and they also made a 5 blade version. They are the "classic" cowbells....they produce fish but....they create a lot of drag in the water (large metal blades) and it really takes a lot of effort especially with a big laker on the end of it. The Hammerhead version (plastic type material) is much lighter and has much less drag size for size because of the material and design combination. The smaller the set the less drag and more options for running them. We used to use heavy duty boat rods or hand line the Les Davis sets on Seneca Lake during the winter and they wouldn't work great on downriggers and for example the Hammerheads can be used in many different applications (on leadcore, wire dipseys, downriggers copper rigs, Seth Greens etc.. For years I cannibalized some of my old metal ones and made up new ones by using downrigger wire clevises, and beads along with some smaller blades (Colorado or Willowleafs) for less drag.

Edited by Sk8man