500' SS Wire enough?

I am planning my first trip to lake ontario for salmon. I am looking at stainless steel wire line for dipsy set ups. I was going to set up two reels with 500' of ss wire and braid for backing. Is this a good idea? Anyone run a simular set up. Just looking to save some $$$ Salmon tackle aint cheep!

Just pony up for the 1000'feet. You probably wont be saving anything between the backing and the wire anyway. We had a fish last year rip out over 600' of wire before it slowed down. Plus if you have to trim any due to a mess up you have some to spare.

Just my opinion anyway. I agree it is expensive and trimming some of the cost off where you can helps. But I wouldn't trim it on the wire.

Spike

My last dipsy hit last season started at 275 on the counter and I thumbed him to a stop on the last wrap of wire! The counter said 1150 so, his first run was almost 900 feet! I moved to larger dipsy reels this year so I could add an extra 500 feet of line behind the 1000 feet of wire. I definately suggest the full Magilla. The fish are turining out to be quite large this year. Power Pro costs more than the wire.

Salmon fishing aint cheap.

Was just talking about this to a friend the other night. He says to get the full 1000 feet and you wont have any worries. I also though wes at slippery sinker in olcott will put it on for 5 cent a foot. That sounded reasonable.

500' of wire is not enough - you will get to close to the line and possibly lose everything.

Setting dipsey's deep may already cost you 250 - 300' of wire. Then a good king can run 100' - 150', so you will have 450' of line out - leaving 50' left - that's a small reserve as far as I'm concerned. Come to the end of this reserve and you have lost all of your 500' wire plus all your tackle. That will more than pay for the extra 500' of wire.

It really isn't worth it to cut costs here - put the 1000' on.

A few seasons ago I tried to go cheep, went with 600ft.of wire and mono backup,a good king hit and ran the wirer out to the knot witch was still in the guides. I started to pick up line and he took off again, the knot caught in the twillie tip and I lost wirer, diver, spinnie and fly. that's about $60 worth of wire and tackle. I went to Dicks and got two 1000ft spools of 40lb test wire on sale for $30 a spool, I could have saved $60 bucks. :(