I bought two Eagle Claw Wire Rods for $50 each. They are pretty good - but not the best.

The big issue with wire rods is the tightness between the actual ball bearing roller and the guide bracket.

Sometimes on my rods the wire gets wedge between the side of the roller and the guide bracket. It happens

on the top guide as a fish may pull to one side or another. It gets anoying.

When buying a wire rod, take a good look at how tight and robust this area is. I hear the more expensive rods are $100 per piece and they have good guides to prevent this from happening.

Best regards.

If you go to the torpedo divers web site they have roller guides that work very well. I started using them this year and am very pleased withe the performance of them. Using the 19 strand disey wire they have withe the roller guides is a great combo. The 19 strand is much more forgiving than the regular wire that mason and all the others are selling us. It is a little more expensive but you dont have to worry about it kinking or stuff like that if you take your time and pay attention as you are working it around your other lines. I use the diawa heartland dipsey rods and they work great too. I think they run about 35- 40 apiece.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I just got a couple of the eagle claw dipsey 10 footers. They seem ok, but might be a little too light. One thing i noticed is while fighting a fish, the hand holding the rod above the reel can (and does) get nicked by the wire line. Do the roller guide rods hold the wire further away from the rod?

I never use roller rods with wire. Daiwa Heartland 9-6 MH with a twilly tip does the trick. Cheap and good.

JAM

Twilly's are great for cutting off fleas too. Never had a problem with my twilly tips. :yes:

Words from the PA master, "Use em if you want to but you don't need roller guides for wire divers......ever!" ,obviously, he doesn't have to reel in the fish on the wire most of the time, & his clients have a much harder time with large fish on the wire with standard guides & the screen door spring on the top of the rod (cheapest set up you can get), then they would with a quality roller rod & wire. Ever is a real long time!

"Pa master"? LOL. My clients do just fine bringing in big kings with "the cheapest setup you can find". Roller guides do nothing to aid in bringing in a fish on wire.....proper rod pumping, good rod handling techniques and a high qualtiy reel boats big kings not rollers. But.....then again....maybe you never had a "PA master" coach you....lol.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Trying to explain physics to a "PA Master" appears to be & maybe is impossible, but here we go, wheels with bearings turn much easier then dragging the load on the ground, do you get it now!!! Nah, knew you wouldn't. :rofl:

I would have to agree with Iceman on this one. I switched to roller rods and the resistance of the wire on the guides makes fighting fish easier. Roller rods paired up with high quality reels will make a difference.

1000' of 7 strand 30lb wire, Tekota 600LC, 8' Telora Roller Rod (cause longer rods give the fish too much leverage) rule, as a wire outfit. Been running this set up for the last 10 years, love them.

I started bringing vanilla bean massage oil on the boat last year to smear on my Twili Tip and reduce friction. Capt Speedo didn't think it would work, but not only did the fish come in easier, I'm convinced that the scent of vanilla got them to hit better, too. If anyone is interested, I'm going to market a full line of Twili tip lubricants in multiple flavors and scents.

Look for it under: "Lube for your Twili"