weight for probe???

What is the best style / weight ball to run on my rigger with my sub-troll probe??? My rigger cable is tracking pretty far back which is throwing my temp off when i am running between 2-3 mph down. As of late i have been running a 10lb shark weight and i have also tried a pancake weight, but that wants to cut to the out side of the boat and tangle with the other riggers..Please and Thanks

Matt

-Jakey Baby-

I run 15lb torpedoes off my probe rigger now and it tracks great. Last year I had the 10 lb torpedoes and it wasn't enough weight. very little blow back with the 15.

The probe works nice w/ the 15lb torpedo :yes: I use the 13lbers on my other riggers & things seem to balance out better & less BB than when I had a 13 on the probe.

I did have 15lb round balls, upgraded to 13 torpedo's I really like them, my transducer is in my hull and only running a 200hz so I had alot of trouble marking them with the balls and noticed I mark the torpedo's considerably better now so I know for a fact I have MUCH less blow back even with 2lbs less weight. I'm impressed so far. I'm also running subtroll. I have Vectors so they will handle whatever I throw at them, they are even quicker now which is great.

If I read your post correctly, you are running your probe on a center rigger? Pancakes can be difficult in this position. They work OK on outside riggers because you can bend the fin and get definate spread out and away. Chowders recommendation is the way I would go if I was bying balls from scratch. I have my center probe on a 15 Shark and outdowns on 15 torpedos. I've cycled through round balls, semi round balls, pancakes and finally to torpedos. I feel like a born-again troller.

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of torpedoes. I have two that are painted black and one that is just plain lead color. Does anybody add any color tape or flash to them to help attract more salmon?? Or are they fine on there own?

I'm wondering about this too. I have 13 torpedo's that are plain lead, what is everyone else doing to them and have you noticed a difference in action?

We took the black torpedos, and painted their bellys with chrome paint, and put eyes on 'em.

Also have tape on our Cannon probe.

Can't say it has them hoping in the boat, but that's just what we've done.

I don't have a probe yet or any experience/knowledge about them. One question: can u run a lure off the same rigger the probe is on?

Absolutely. I usually have a doctor/fly tight to the ball on my probe rigger, 8-10 ft leadsand it is frequently the hot rod.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png