Fish Hawk worth the money or are the other alternatives

If you do not mind dealing with coated cable, the others are good. I have the Fish Hawk and love it because I don't have to worry about replacing coated cables or being careful not to take the coating off. Once you loose coating, you will loose signal as you get deeper. The Fish Hawk does jump around a little but you make adjustments so it does not do that. My Fish Hawk interfers with my fish finder. I just deal with it.

had a fish hawk sold it got a depth raider now. had the same battery in it since may, it dosent jump around, never looses signal, cheeper. i would look into a coated cable one not putting down a sub troll or a cannon never used them. by now i would have gone though a case of 9 volts with the hawk and swore at it 1000 times for loosing signal. my 2 cents

I hear of everyone going through batteries like water (pardon the expression) with the fishhawk. I don't know what we are doing right but our battery lasts us quite a while. Mind you it won't last a whole season but we don't need to replace it during our long day trips and probably only after several trips. We do disconnect the battery every time we end our fishing day and maybe that is why we don't use a lot of batteries. :?:

I agree with Hank. Also running a fish Hawk for years. Hated the battery useage. I now run a subtroll and wouldn't go back. The coated cable is a pain in the a_ _ but better than buying the 9 volts. Usually a couple repairs during the season. Next time I got to buy coated cable I will definatley get the long length spool so I got plenty for cutting some off for repairs. Even with damaged cable I don't have problems unless I got to go really deep.

Glen

i have the canon..even though i hate to mess with the coated cable i'd never go back to the fish hawk...a nice feature about the canon is that it tells you percentage of light at the lure, which after a while you'll learn when your glows and whites will work vs your greens and blues. for us under 7 percent glows and over 7 greens really shine

Fishman08,

That's one feature (% of light) I hear is really nice on that Cannon. I hear Capt. Tony referrring to it all the time and many of the other charters are always inquiring about that from him.

Glen,

I can buy a heck of a lot of 9 volt batteries for $35-$40 which I think is the going rate for that coated cable :D:lol::D

At some point you'll end up with crossed rigger cables & end up scraping the coating off. You can repair it with that liquid electrical tape if it's not torn up too bad, or at the worst, you can buy a replacement coated cable for $35 and re-spool. I just did that on my DR and it was a 15 minute job.

I've run a Fish Hawk, a Moor, and now a Depth Raider. I'd definitely buy a Depth Raider or a Moor again. I'd never spend my money on a Fish Hawk again. Some guys like the Cannon too, but I can't comment on that having never run one before. I know Maniac has one and likes it a lot.

or you can use FISHINMAN"s style just leave the works hanging in the water loosen the drag on the rigger and run in fast that should get rid of your cable rigger weight and down probe . but Capt Billy's method sounds a little cheaper .... as a famos FISHINMAN once said or was that Homer Simpson "how come things that happen to stupid people keep happing to me?" keep your head up Tom as a kid growing up my friends always said if they didnt like me they wouldnt beat the crap out of me every day kinda hurt but those words kept a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart as i lay there bleeding. who said i was sick ,i feel ok ,

Empty stringer,

I usually just cut off the damaged cable and reconnect everything. tried the liquid tape and it doesn't hold on long. I run Scotty riggers and the damage is usually do to weeds or debris sliding the stop buttons on the cable but Bill is right. Cross your cables and there is considerable damage to the coated cable.

I'm not saying it happens alot by any means just that the couple times a season it does it's a pain in the a_ _.

Clarke,

I bought a couple xtra spools of cable with the $200.00 bucks I saved over the price of the Fish Hawk. LOL. Keep buying those 9 volts. I average a couple seasons with a spool of cable. Next time, in another year or two, it will be more cause I'll get the extra long spool. 350 foot I think is the long one. That will give me plenty of extra for the repairs.

Glen