Backing for wire set up

Is anyone using backing before spooling wire on your reels? I've heard both ways with and without. What are most of you doing and if you use backing are you using braid etc.....? Thanks! :)

Doesn't it depend on how big the reel is??

those 45 D 's I just backed... need HALF mono to fill the reel !

(with 1000' of wire)

or my line counter was all fubar!

and i found a cool knot... a beckets bend... (fire fighter knots)

it's simple, holds, and we couldn't even make it break

Just my opinion:

I guess the discussion is mostly about spooling the copper so that the real if as full as possible for retrieving speed. I just messed around until it was right with one set up and used that info on the rest.

If you intend to run copper wire off otter boats, planer boards, etc., it is easier to let out 300 ft of wire, for example) attached to mono or braid backing, and use that backing to clip to the release rather than attempting to clip the cooper to the release (just like fishing lead core colors off the boards) I have recently set up 4 rods that way with 300ft on 2, and 500ft on another pair. The 300ft copper puts things down to the 60-70 ft depth range and the 500 ft to the 90-100 range. Of course, if you plan to run your wire down the chute only, it doesn't make much difference about backing. That is how I am fishing now and have put the otter boats away because of the weeds, but think this setup will do well when the weeds back down. I have 5:1 (3:1 is too much cranking) reels for the copper and it is about the same time on task as reeling in dipsy wire rigs that are out 250-350 feet on 3:1 and/or 4:1 reels. There are new 6:1 Diawa Saltist reels available, but I was told they are a bit stiff to crank because they are geared so high, so I went with 5:1 Diawa (beautiful piece of technology).

...it's OK...I like fishing the copper...it's easy, and, it does catch fish. However, I need to wait and see if they produce like dipsy rigs, which for me catch at least as many fish as the downriggers.

I TOTALLY LOVE my Daiwa Saltist LD50D... :yes::yes::yes::yes:

I use it for saltwater... 8)

and people drool over it on the party boats.. :lol:

but am considering using copper on it ;)

high_speed_lever_drag_dawai.jpg

PS... oh... my friend just reminded me, without a line guide, (it doesn't) it would be a real hassle....

We are running some Okuma Clarion reels this year on my boat and Jason boat. They are fast and have blown the Tekotas out of the Water. If they hold up like they should I will be asking santa for a bunch :lol:

As for core, copper, and wire they all have a place in your spread. Today on Canandaigua you couldn't buy a fish on a wire diver so the core and copper filled the spot. You need all the tools some days and other days you cant keep the fish off the line.

To answere the original question,yes I use backing on my Tekota 600lcs for wire.

I like to keep the spool full to within an 1/8 of an inch of the rim.

The counter is more accurate and you get faster retrieves as you are taking more wire on per revolution on a full spool.

I used heavy mono as a backer. Alot cheaper than braid and with 1000 ft of wire on top I will never get to the backing while playing a fish.

Just there for a filler.

Glen