Water contaminated gasoline disposal?

A dealer reported that they would charge $5.00 a gallon to dispose of your water contaminated gasoline. What a deal! 100 gallons bought at $4.00 a gallon in the fall plus $5.00 a gallon in the spring equals $900.00 for an empty tank of gasoline. It seems to be the best move is to lay up your boat with empty fuel tanks at the end of the season.

I've heard of people that will use it in their car....mix in a gallon or so at each fill up. Cars can handle the water better than boat motors, or so I've read.

But 100 gallons, that a lot. It should separate out (water on bottom) so if you put it in a couple drums that have a valve on bottom, it would allow you to drain out the bulk of the water. Could then make it a couple gallons per fill. Still wouldn't put it in the boat tho...

Yes what nitro said. Id let it sit for a week and let it separate. Id use that gas for starting fires lawn mower weed wacker something not so delecate or expensive. When a place accepts contaminated gas they sell it and it goes to a say sunoco and they ship it to a transmix company like heath oil in barkeyville pa (near oil city off I 80) and that is the closest one to buffalo. And they separate it and resell it.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I will take it off your hands and run it through my equipment at work. Heck we have salvaged fuel from equipment we purchase and on motors that are less sensitive it runs just fine.

After spending a few days cleaning gasoline tanks of water and dirt, please do not hesitate to use stabilizer in your gasoline tanks in your boat, tractor, farm machines and lawnmowers. We syphoned the tanks with a garden hose led out the transom drain to 6 gallon cans. The bottom of the tank was cleaned of water and dirt using old T shirts hooked onto a rod made of a coat hanger bent to reach the lowest part of the tank through the fuel level gauge opening and the tanks were then bone dry and a lot of dirt and water was removed before we put things back together again.

The cans of gasoline were syphoned with an outboard motor gas line with an automobile filter put on the end to catch dirt. The hose was suspended about two inches off the bottom of the can and this bottom gasoline was poured into small cake pans and the dirt and water was observed. The filtered gasoline went into my truck and it has run ok.

A couple outboard motor tanks were cleaned the same way and I added an inline filter from the auto parts store to my gaslines. The 40 mile round trip to a dealer and changing the filters on outboard motors was a real long session and I think the easily accessed inline filter will do the job.

The point I am trying to make is do not try to get away without using the stabilizer stuff in your tanks as you will endure a lot of work trying to get going again.

+1 online filters and stabil (blue!). Good advice.

Keep in mind some motors have an online filter already on the motor and are not recommended to have an additional inline filter installed due to the restriction it places on fuel flow. Be sure to check regarding your particular motor before installing. My optimax has a large screw on water separating filter under the cowl (looks like an oil filter) and additional filters are recommended against on these motors.

• 1 year later...

dry gas makes it worse as i've been told,i had a partial tank i treated with stabil last fall,the 260 started and ran good this year.If you got real water in your tank it should show up my siphoning the bottom of the tank in a clear container.I thought mine was water but it turned out a stuck float and dirty carb from ethonal damage to lines.water seperator works but filters can only sevice so much water and then they dont work