Finally......

FX

I "Finally" had a plan come together after a frustrating bow season that had me second guessing every move/decision to try and out smart a couple of nice bucks we had seen on trail cams. This past Saturday, I shot at a doe midday and while looking for blood we bumped a nice 8pt bedded with 4 doe. They were in a bedding area on the property that I've finally convinced the group to leave alone in an effort to keep deer on the property. After not finding any blood, we re-created the shot and found where the bullet hit the ground showing that I shot over her so we tip-toed out of there, but bumped 4 more deer out of this 5 acre bedding area. I couldn't stop thinking that he would probably be going back to his harem and where I could be to intercept him. Sunday morning brought South winds again which was perfect for a ground blind we have in an area that could potentially intercept deer sneaking back into the bedding area, so at 6:15am, I snuck in there. At 7:30, I was again second guessing my decision when a nice buck walked out of the pines into an opening about 60yds away apparantly on his way back to the bedding area. I quickly brought my 30.06 up and got the crosshairs just behind his shoulder. After the shot, he managed to go 40yds before piling up. Upon inspection, I was very surprised that the bullet didn't exit the deer. I'm not shooting top of the line ammo, but would think that a 165g soft point Rem bullet would pass through at 60yds. The autopsy and skinning showed a broken rib and "innard soup" but no exit and no damage to the other side of the ribs.

Once my buddy saw the buck, he confirmed that it was the same one we bumped out of there the day before. Gotta love when a "plan" comes together.

Hunting_2011_011.jpg

Hunting_2011_014.jpg

Good luck the rest of the season,

Shawn

Great buck Shawn! Good read on the bedding area and wind play. Wish I was able to hunt this week as I believe the secondary rut and less pressure will bring some good bucks out of the thick stuff. I'll get a chance the last couple days of muzzy season, might just use the stick and string since I'm not crazy about dirtying up the smoke pole for two days of hunting.

Congratulations on a fine deer! Looks a lot like the one I saw during bow and could not get a clear shot. Nice symetrical rack.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

good hunt with a great ending...yea its amazing how the soft tip does its job..Ive got some 30-06 military grade hard tips that will pass through a 10" cherry tree and still take out its target... Not a safe round for hunting :lol:

Good for you Shawn...(too bad for the rest of the gang) another will step up within 2 days guaranteed.