Effects of mild winter...

OK, not sure about the "old timer" thing, but I can accept "long timer." We have seen winters like this before. If this follows past history, It may spread the Salmon out more, and disperse them throughout the lake earlier. Keep in mind that no matter what, spawning Alewives and Smelt concentrate in Western Lake Ontario.

A positive to this mild winter is the Salmon populations winter growth should be increased with the above normal water temps.

Keep in mind any Salmon that aren't hammered in the Spring frenzy will be around in the Summer and Fall, and that much larger.

If Lake Erie doesn't freeze over and minimal ice flows enter the western basin from the Niagara, there should be an earlier migration of alewive and emerald shinners into the river flow. The salmon will be right with them. I am with Capt Vince on the earlier spread of salmon west to east. Could be a couple weeks or more earlier than years with big ice flows from the Niagara. It will also depend heavily on settled weather with good warming days during April, May.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Yes I did Capt. It is the last week end of the LOC besides. We had some close encounters last year with the fog. I still think the lake will freeze especially on the Ohio end where it is not as deep. I just hope the Kings are down and spread out a bit.

We will see but at least it will be challenging any way ya look at it.

Shade

I do not think the ice boom will be holding back the ice this year that we get it down the lake from Ohio as we usually do. The fishing starts on the Bar after the ice from Lake Erie is gone and there is none so far this year. I believe we will be fishing early this year on the Bar in the warm waters from Lake Erie that turn the fish on when the water temperature reaches 48 degrees F. We usually started around March 15 for the local warm water flows from the nearby creeks, ditches and the Youngstown Waste Water plant even though the ice was still in Lake Erie and the river. Have your boat ready now and be fishing early March or maybe even February on warm days.

I wish every year was like last year :D:D:D

+1. This winter SUCKS!!!!!!!

Specially when the restraunt I was at charged 19 bucks for six lake perch fillets! At least it was useful for justifying all the money spent going for perch 90 miles away in Sodus! See honey? ...Oh yeah, so why don't YOU sell yer catch?...awww crap... always the last word :(