Early Season lures for browns

Last year was the first time I was able to get out and fish the lake in April. We were able to get out for 2 days and did well both times out. I was amazed at the success with the scorpion sized spoons and small sized stick baits. I don't have too many small lures for early season browns. Just wondering what works for you early season and in shallow water (lures and colors). I'd like to add a few more lures to my arsenal. April can't get here soon enough IMO. :yes: Thanks for your feedback.

A lot depends on the traffic, clarity of the water, how much pressure has been on them recently, and depth of water. It's one of those things you learn as you go. A shad rap wont work in <8' of water, but can be great long lined over 20' of water when the water gets clear and the fish push out a little. Inside waters require small stick so you don't get hung up. As for colors it all comes down to the old theory - colored water use bright colored baits, and in clear water move to naturals.

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much use the same lures, rapalas, storm jr thunder stick and thin fins, rogues and an assortment of scorpion sized spoons. Had some good luck with Cabelas real image stick baits, but the hooks break easily just replace them with better ones. Thanks for the feedback just was looking to see if there may be something out there that I was not aware of that I could me be using to increase my catch.

I use the rapala glass minnows and storm black prisms in various sizes for walleyes will they produce results when fishing browns? Also what about smithwicks in black back/silver body and blue back/silver body?

Close in my go to's for the most part are jointed Rebels. The mid size 3 1/2 " are good all around. Cloudy water & Early morn ,the 4 1/2 ".Blk sil, Grn silv orange bottom, Perch , Blue silv, Blk gold orange belly.

Watch out in close cause some some dive deeper than others. Jtd Raps dive deeper than straights.

We run a variety of sticks off the boards, for the conditions, and custom-taped Suttons, off the riggers, juggling depth as needed.

A lot of times, we can't get all our lines out, before we are hooked up.

Won't be long now. :clap:

We run a variety of sticks off the boards, for the conditions, and custom-taped Suttons, off the riggers, juggling depth as needed.

A lot of times, we can't get all our lines out, before we are hooked up.

Won't be long now. :clap:

how far off the ball do you run the suttons when your real shallow and only have your ball 2-5 ft down

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I hear a lot about the Sutton spoons but don't have any. I think it may be one of the few brands I don't have. I believe I saw some at All Seasons when I was up a few months ago for steel head. Are they made out of real thin metal?

Don't be afraid to run the Suttons (or Flutterdevles) off of the boards with a split shot 7-8 feet ahead of them. Add another split shot when it gets brighter. They work really well that way. Our first action on Sunday was a double- both fish picked out the 2 Suttons we had out of the 6 rods. Hit almost simultaneously too.

Don't be afraid to run the Suttons (or Flutterdevles) off of the boards with a split shot 7-8 feet ahead of them. Add another split shot when it gets brighter. They work really well that way. Our first action on Sunday was a double- both fish picked out the 2 Suttons we had out of the 6 rods. Hit almost simultaneously too.

Millers are similar, but the fish seem to favor the Suttons.

We keep plenty on hand, and probably more than I should.

Don't be afraid to run the Suttons (or Flutterdevles) off of the boards with a split shot 7-8 feet ahead of them. Add another split shot when it gets brighter. They work really well that way. Our first action on Sunday was a double- both fish picked out the 2 iSuttons we had out of the 6 rods. Hit almost simultaneously too.

x2 I always have a sutton 22 out. I don't think theyre as speed sensitive as everyone says. We picked up fish on the outside line, on a hard turn at about 2.8

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Last year I picked up a couple rebel small stick baits in Bass color for about 2 bucks a piece, to try to resemble golby's. Fished it wednesday in colored water off I-bay, and it took most of the fish. Approx 3" straight stick. Bill