Fair Haven State Launch

I was up in Fair Haven State Park today checking out the launch.  Looks like the State is in the process of repairing the concrete at the launch.  Anyone know when this work will be finished, or if the launch will be accessible during the construction?  I plan to go out for browns in early April.

I would just call the park and ask em. Im sure they know whats going on. I would like to think they will make it available once Ice is out one way or the other..But call em up they will tell you..

Lol well I still have my memory because its been about 20 years since ive called the park. I figure I would try this number in my head and see who answers .lol well they did and I asked about the launch.  I figure since some of you guys were curious (and not that I ever use the dock) so here is your answer.

The one side is still open and will remain so for the duration of the project. They figure it will be complete in mid spring the latest but the one side will remain open as it is now. There is still ice floating around out there so if you want to go get em be extremely cautious.

Obviously we got snow last night but its not going to stick nor effect anything.

Im thinking early next week might be ok....

get ready guys...

Edited by mrclean

Nice video ...it put me right in the mood (although I must confess I didn't have far to go after this winter:>) Good to hear the old Ray Charles music too. Good job!

Lol thanks, actually that was 4th of july last year and i searched for "ohh beautiful" and there was rays version. I felt it was a great matchup..I thru in some of the harborfest fireworks. I am a stage manager for harborfest and help setup the garucchi fireworks.

Well we ended up with about six good inches of snow yesterday. Its going to blow lake effect up in the belt area so hopefully this stuff melts away and the ice goes with it this time.

Im going to head up to camp this weekend. that should tell us more..

Edited by mrclean

Mr. Clean,

The family vacation this year is at Fair Haven State park the 2nd week in July.  It's been about 7 years since I fished out of Fair Haven and was wondering about the best place to keep my boat slipped for the week.  The park website says it has a small marina, or would it be better to get a slip for the week at Bayside?

Just looking for an opinion from a local guy.

Thanks!

Damn! I just typed a nice reply and hit a wrong key and away it went lol...Here goes the second try lol.

Honestly my opinion is this.

Put your boat in Bayside Marina. It is the best place in the bay. It is sheltered, the docks are hard(not floating) and you can pull right up to your boat and park your truck/car right in front of it. We have a fish cleaning station, all the charter captains are there along with us locals so you will get the most updated information on whats going on. Price wise they are the cheapest. Talk to John or Scott, tell em you spoke with carmen (mr clean) and they will hook you up. Its right off west bay road. The only thing they dont have is gas but you can get that right next door at Anchor resort.

Anchor resort is a nice place too. They have accommodations to stay. Trailers, mini cabins etc...their docks are hard I believe but basically a good north/NW wind gonna make it breasy getting in and out as compared to bayside that has a horseshoe Chanel protecting it from the wind

Fairport Marina is located right across the bay from the state park. They have floating docks in a maze type layout but wind is a killer over there cause its basically on the shoreline.  It is actually to the right once you come in the chute from the lake. The problem is if you are staying at the state park then its a long drive (basically around the whole bay) to get back where bayside and anchor are much closer of a drive and just outside the town where the store is. The timeframe you are there it will be crowded and driving the road thru the camps is slow...

The state park has no marina lol...end that conversation right there lol..

Im basing all this on being here 30 years or so. Your best bet will be bayside.. Come on in...have a drink on me lol...well get ya up and runnin...

Edit, I would contact them and reserve something long before you come. That timeframe is very busy obviously...

Edited by mrclean

Mr. Clean,  thanks for the info I really appreciate it.  It's been years since I've fished out of Fair Haven, and I'm really looking forward to it.  Sounds like Bayside  has all the needs of a fisherman, and is nice to know there will be dock neighbors that fish.  Up to date info is always helpful when hitting a new port. 

I'm staying in the park with my family and in-laws, probably about 25-30 of us in all.  Some of the other family members have not made reservations on a place to stay, so I'll mention the Anchor resort to them as a possible place to check and see if they have something open. 

And I was thinking the same thing, calling next week and getting a slip reserved for that week we are going to be there. 

I'll see you this summer!  And good luck fishing when winter breaks, and you can get out and do some BT fishing.

Mr. Clean,  thanks for the info I really appreciate it.  It's been years since I've fished out of Fair Haven, and I'm really looking forward to it.  Sounds like Bayside  has all the needs of a fisherman, and is nice to know there will be dock neighbors that fish.  Up to date info is always helpful when hitting a new port. 

I'm staying in the park with my family and in-laws, probably about 25-30 of us in all.  Some of the other family members have not made reservations on a place to stay, so I'll mention the Anchor resort to them as a possible place to check and see if they have something open. 

And I was thinking the same thing, calling next week and getting a slip reserved for that week we are going to be there. 

I'll see you this summer!  And good luck fishing when winter breaks, and you can get out and do some BT fishing.

No problem...Lol good thing I didnt put away my snowboard yet lol. But certainly this stuff should be gone real soon....

Mr clean, is the fish cleaning station a clean it your self or do they have a professional there to do it for you?? We rent a house right by you guys and I have always had to drive to Oswego to get our fish cleaned. I would rather stay in Fairhaven.

Lol no we clean our own fish there. Some guys use electric knives, others like me get my trusty fillet knife going and 5 minutes from when we arrive back at dock the smoker is up and running lol..

29525_1126990752874_6037586_n.jpg

Thats what makes bayside the place to be. Other marinas dont like to deal with a fish cleaning station but because we house charter captains it becomes a necessity really around here.

253556_1393788862660_4275521_n.jpg

Edited by mrclean

Mr. Clean

Got a question about your motor?  What year is it and have you had any idling issues with her? Mine at the end of last year didn't want to idle worth a crap but could have just been the 45* weather.

Edited by Chas0218

Its an 89 johnson 200hp standard two cycle with a VRO (oil ) system. The nice thing about a two cycle is 95% of the issues boil back to fuel related issues. And when I say fuel related that doesnt necessarily mean actual "gas" either. It could be a simple air leak in the fuel lines which can cause a rough idle.

Check your plugs most likely that has something to do with it. I generally get two to three seasons out of my plugs. That is alot but we can get away with it because I troll a lot and I use one range higher of a plug (heat range) to burn the plugs off better. I also use 93 octane much as I can because two cycles run much better with it. Toward the end of last year the plugs started to foul, ie: sputters at low rpm, rough idle at dock. High speeds were no problem. I know my fuel lines dont leak I inspect them yearly. But none the less she was running smoothly for the past two plus seasons and toward the end I could tell what was happening....I changed the plugs and it solved the problem...however lol...about two weeks later she was skipping at trolling speed every now and again which would indicate a fouled plug...It happens , lol,,

So this Spring once we get her in Im going to really run it hard and see if the problem persisted...

Again rough idling on two strokes usually indicates fuel (possible air leak) or plugs...start there and I think you might be ok...

Plus outboards like to get run hard. You gotta heat em up and if you dont use it regularly sometimes these conditions actually happen quicker.

Im no mechanic for sure lol. my son is but being around these things all ones life you have no choice but to learn...by troubleshoot lol.....

Picture015.jpg

I always do suggest an external water/fuel filter for outboards...makes a HUGE difference in the quality of the fuel delivered to the block...

Well its a beautiful day up here. The ice is gone from the mid part of the bay on. There still is some down by the southern end of the bay. No gas yet so you have to get gas in town rather than on the bay. Looking good...