Newbie looking for setup help

Great site! A buddy took me out for spring browns last year and we couple a few. We also went out for salmon during the summer and got some. Well now I am hooked. I don't really have the boat to fish out in the lake but I can for spring browns (trophy 1802wa). I have riggers and a planer mast but my question is on reel and rod choice. Can I get away with 20 series reels or is that to lite. What would be the backing and leader of choice? Also what size rod? I was leaning towards a 8'6 rod. Fishing mostly planers but would like something I can put on the riggers as well. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

There are volumes of info written previously here that you can review here on the site to answer almost any question you might have and all it takes is sometime searching,reviewing things and sorting it out. Your question about the "right" rod and reel depends on a bunch of things like what do you intend to run on them for line and lures, running straight off the boards or using dipseys etc. I'm sure most of your concerns have already been answered somewhere here.

For spring brown fishing and walleye, the 20 series reels would be ideal. As summer and fall come the 20 series may be a touch small for the larger salmon and steelhead. Rod size has alot to do with personal preference and boat size. In a planer mast presentation you want all your rods to be identical. The 8'6" rod has been a standard choice for many years. Alot of guys using the large boards use a shorter rod dues to them standing straight up in rodholders. Hope this helps feel free to contact Us if you have any questions.

Can I get away with 20 series reels or is that to lite. What would be the backing and leader of choice? Also what size rod? I was leaning towards a 8'6 rod. Fishing mostly planers but would like something I can put on the riggers as well. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

20 series will work fine for early season loaded up with 10-15# test. No backing needed and no matter what you choice for mainline I would suggest using 10-15# Fluorocarbon leaders also. The problem later in the season is that the 20 series reel wont have the capacity to hold 20-30# test and you will need something in the 30 series. Any choice of downrigger rod will give you the versatility to fish it with planer boards. 

Just echoing some of what has already been said...

Those reels will be fine early season brown fishing and will even handle kings - you just have to fight them longer and use the drags appropriately.

All my 27s are spooled with 15 pound main line. When fishing browns in spring I add an 8lb fluoro leader. If I use them on the downriggers for "line-shy" kings I go up to 12lb fluoro. However, with this size line, I only run clear spoons or body baits. I go up to at least 20lb on 30 series reels for flasher/fly combos.

For planer board rods, I use 7'6". They are just easier to maneuver on my boat. I find that they are long enough to fight the fish near the boat and keep it out of the motor. As long as the rod has a good action, you can go with whatever length you feel comfortable with.

I switched to the longer rods a few years ago and found that I had better landing ratio with lines that don't stretch as much as straight monofiliment.  i.e. go with a co-poly line.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I don't really have the boat to fish out in the lake but I can for spring browns (trophy 1802wa).

A Trophy 1802 WA is plenty of boat to enjoy the fishery all season long, just not the near shore brown trout fishery.  There are many guys on the site here with similar sized boats that you will see on the lake in summer 4 or 5 miles off shore trolling.  You don't need 25'+ sized boat to get out deep and fish. 

When I was a kid I cut my teeth on this fishery in a 14' motor boat, that I still fish with (spring browns), and my uncle's 16' Starcraft Holiday.  Later I had a Starcraft 18' Supersport.  All boats, no matter how big, have limits to the weather.  Just use your head, and pay attention to the weather forecast.

I regulary wonder off to 300+ fow with my 17foot deep v crestliner kodiak. Its about 10 miles off shore. I check the weather before I leave and once boat in water.

Most of the time I fish alone. I carry a tiny backpac on my back with a flare gun, handheld flare, fully charged handheld vhf radio with a longer whip. As mentioned earlier, use your head and you will be ok

8'6 eagle claw rods are good inexpesive choice....like 28.00 ea

do yourself a favor and go with 30 series reels to start with....or end up buying more later in year when you decide to try the salmon fishing.... okuma magda reels are good choice at like 50.00 ea

i normally spool with 30 lb suffix on all my reels and then in spring when fishing browns simply tie on a 50 to 100' 10 lb leader...also works for walleyes

when done brown fishing just cut leader off and ready to chase the kings

your boat is plenty big enough for king fishing in late summer and the fall....just be weather wise...

good luck out there

Thanks Jolly. I guess it is a matter of just doing it and yes the weather is the most important. I live in clayton, ny. Do you or anybody for that matter monitor a specific weather site? I have a marine radio so I listen to that but is there one on the web that gives marine forecasts for the Mexico/ Oswego area?

I'm a big fan of 7' rods, both on the riggers and the boards. We have a couple of Shimano Talora rods in that size, and I'd cut all of my rods down to that size if it wouldn't ruin their action  :) . Yeah, I know...what action? The exception is Dispy rods, where a 9' 6" rod is better for getting the rig away from the boat. I'm not going to wax on, but feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions. There's a new online place in Rochester, shop.fishhbt.com, Hallett's Bait and Tackle, that seems to have some really good prices and based upon my experience good service, too.

If your looking to buy, check out Bretts place on the Bay, he has bundled packages of rods and reels at great prices! I personally have sold off all my old trolling equipment and gone to all Okuma. I have a set of 20 series convectors, they good for walleyes and browns/lakers, but my go to outfits are all 30 series convectors, they are a great deal for the money. I also have some 45s and 55s for dipseys, leadcore, and copper. All are great. As for your boat size, your fine to fish thedeeper water, watch the weather and the wind, be sure to have safety equipment and marine radio with weather channels and cell phone. I have been fishing out to the 30 bar and past since the early 80's out of a 19.5' boat, never had a problem. Had to quit early quite a few days, but have had alot of fun---------good luck