Deck Drains!?

JakeyBaby

Right now my boat has floor drains thats sends all rain and deck water into the bildge!!! Horrible design for sure! The boat is an 87 Chris Craft Sea Hawk. I want this water out and not in the bildge. Any ideas?? Can i get scuppers that are below the water line with a check valve in them or something? Because thats the big issue the drains in the floors are right at or a little below the water line.  I wish i would have known what i know now about boats when i bought it. Any help would be awsome!!

Thanks Matt

-Jakey Baby-

It all depends on the boat. If it wasnt designed for self bailing floors there was probably a reason. I would recommend what most people call a camping cover which basically covers the entire rear of the boat keeping most if not all water from coming in the boat when not in use. Most are just snap on and snap off.

my kenner c.c. has 2 scuppers right at the water line. they both allow water in with waves or both people go to back, horrible!! i put plugs in both prior to launching. if rain water builds up, i remove the plugs and hit the throttle to drain.

My Whaler has dual scuppers but they have rubber covers on the transom side of the holes to prevent the water from coming in ....other than when it is raining hard I've never had a drop of water in my boat period....even in 10-12 footers.

My Whaler has dual scuppers but they have rubber covers on the transom side of the holes to prevent the water from coming in ....other than when it is raining hard I've never had a drop of water in my boat period....even in 10-12 footers.

Must be quite the ride in an 18' boat, Whaler or not. :thinking:

:rofl:  For sure but the top one was 12 footers on Lake O in my 13 ft. Whaler (not out there on purpose but...big storm came out of nowhere) I had been out in the shipping lanes for steelies. When I got back in to Sodus Point the fishermen on the pier were clapping and cheering for me because 40 ft. boats were struggling to get back in ...felt lucky to be alive (white knuckes to boot) :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

The scuppers that were on my boat are gone.  I had them filled in and my water drains to the bilge.  If you have a reliable bildge pump + a back up, you should have no worries.  Another way to keep the rain water out is a canvas that covers the entire back of the boat. 

It's a common problem with a whole lot of boats.Many boats with self draining decks had scuppers that not only let water out,but also let water in when there's too much weight in the stern.

It's mostly because in order to maximize the freeboard,the builders had the deck floor a low as possible,which ends up being to close to the water line.

In cases like yours,when the decks drain into the bilge,you have to make sure your bilge pump or pumps are routinely checked to make sure they operate.

You might be able to install a couple thru transom scuppers with the ping pong ball covers(like Rabuds) on the outside.It would work if the outlets are at,or a bit above the water line.

The scuppers on my 23' Seacraft go thru the deck floor with the outlet on the hull bottom.They work great when trolling,as long as the crew is sitting.The problem arises when you have to run the 10 to 12 feet back to fight or net a fish.

If two of us are in the rear corner,water will come up thru the scupper on to the deck.It's not a ton,but enough to be a pia.

I'm in the process of fabricating an additional set of scuppers that will drain into a sealed container below decks with an automatic bilge pump in it.The pump will solve the problem when we're in the back fighting a fish and the thru deck suppers will take over when we're sitting,under power or tied up at the slip.

Here's the link for the Rabuds

http://www.rabud.com/seascupper2.htm

Same problem here with the scuppers.  I have a 23' cobia, with two guys in the back corner, a little water starts to come back in through the scuppers, or taking waves to the stern, a little bit of water will jet in through the scuppers.  Kinda nice when fishing in June and July, not so nice fishing this time of the year with 48 degree water.

When I went on a charter in Florida, the captain put plugs in the scupper drains on the boat deck when we stopped to fish. This was a bay boat, and if the plugs weren't installed, the deck would get water on it as the scuppers must have been right at the waterline. Just an idea, but maybe using plugs on the inside of the boat while fishing would keep the water off the deck, just be sure to remove them when appropriate.

I went out to my boat and checked the diameter of the holes ("2 ") I then went to the store and bought some rubber sink drain plugs (3 in the assorted sizes  for $1.97 for each of 2 pkgs. They are the rubber type with the metal split ring in the center. I tried them out in the inside holes  and they (the largest sized one) blocked it off fine. I already have rubber covers on the outside of the transom and have neever had a problem of water coming in but these are my safety backups now.....pretty inexpensive solution. They insert right into the holes and I can pull them out by grasping the metal ring. Another potential solution I saw in the plumbing section is something (white rubber) for sink drains that completely covers the hole (about 3 inches in diameter) and at the center  of it you can depress it with your finger and it pops open (and closed) the center portion of it while the outside rubber ring stays put sealing it (it could be glued with marine adhesive) except for the part where you want to let water out and then depress the center and it seals back up. I think they were about $4.00 each. The things are called Peerless (company) Pop-up Stopper (PRL054)

Edited by Sk8man

the drains in my champion have the rubber covers in the water and ping pong balls at the floor drain. they still let water in when I slow down fast or have people in the back. I bought pvc plumbing ball valves and put them in the hoses. now I can close them when keeping the deck dry is a concern and still use them when needed.