Hemlock Laker with Growth

I have fished Hemlock 20+ years,.....Never seen that..!! I agree with all the above,,...Contact DEC...lets hope it is a Falcon scape..or Bald Eagle gash...they are on the lake and will dive on fish ...but it is Rare to see  a Laker on top..on Hemlock..Thanks for sharing.....Last year the DEC had survey nets out,...I hope it is that simple..possibly.got snagged in the net......we do not need funky stuff in this watershed..! Bad enough the are Zebras in there..oh,..yeah,..its Monroe County main drinking water.....all the water at Cobbs Hill flows by Gravity from Hemlock...to there...

I was fishing Canadice yesterday and caught a 3-4# laker that had 3 nickel-quarter size lesions on it. I fish Seneca a lot, so i know what lamprey marks look like, and i am quite sure these were not from lamprey. I don't have time to post pics at the moment, but i put the fish on ice and am taking it to DEC in a few minutes. 2 sick fish from hemlock and canadice in a few days has me a bit concerned....

dre

I was fishing Canadice yesterday and caught a 3-4# laker that had 3 nickel-quarter size lesions on it. I fish Seneca a lot, so i know what lamprey marks look like, and i am quite sure these were not from lamprey. I don't have time to post pics at the moment, but i put the fish on ice and am taking it to DEC in a few minutes. 2 sick fish from hemlock and canadice in a few days has me a bit concerned....

dre

Good luck getting answers out of them.  My boss showed me a laker that came from Canadice on the ice 3 years ago with leasions on it.  I called the fisheries guys and the came and picked it up.  They told me they would get back to me.  Months went by with no calls.  I called them and they had no record of the fish!  They still have the head to the 34lb laker we caught last summer and they have not aged it yet either!

When it comes to Hemlock/Canadice this sort of thing is of concern since these lakes are drinking water sources for those of us who live in Rochester.  It also makes me wonder about the food safety of eating fish from these waters?

It would be nice if DEC can explain these fish  but I wonder if they worry about scaring Rochestarians or just don't have the resources since DEC was gutted years back.

Sending pictures to The Conservationist might also be a good idea. 

So i took the laker with the lesions to the region 8 DEC and Pete (forgot his last name) talked to me. I am very disappointed with the whole thing. He said he didn't think it was anything serious, probably a virus with a secondary infection (which manifested as the 3 lesions). I asked him if he'd take the fish to do pathology work on it and he said he wouldn't because they don't have a lab there! I am surprised they wouldn't send it to a lab to determine whether or not it was something serious or not. Let's hope he was correct and it wasn't anything too serious.

Gambler - where did you catch the 34# laker?

dre

So i took the laker with the lesions to the region 8 DEC and Pete (forgot his last name) talked to me. I am very disappointed with the whole thing. He said he didn't think it was anything serious, probably a virus with a secondary infection (which manifested as the 3 lesions). I asked him if he'd take the fish to do pathology work on it and he said he wouldn't because they don't have a lab there! I am surprised they wouldn't send it to a lab to determine whether or not it was something serious or not. Let's hope he was correct and it wasn't anything too serious.

Gambler - where did you catch the 34# laker?

dre

Lake Ontario last August.  Here is a link to the report.  http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/index.php/topic/32261-sandy-81912-34lb-6-oz-lake-trout/

Edited by GAMBLER

Gambler,

Years ago I caught a nice landlock in Hemlock and got in touch with a guy named Brad Hammers at the Avon regional office. He told me to bring in some scales from the fish and they would age it for me. The fish was 9 years old according to the scales. He put the scales in some water and under a microscope. You could clearly see the rings in the scales. Each ring, equaled one year. They did it for me right then when I brought the scales in.

I'm not sure why it's taking so long for you...bummer.

Let us know when you find out!

Thanks!

Steve

Gambler,

Years ago I caught a nice landlock in Hemlock and got in touch with a guy named Brad Hammers at the Avon regional office. He told me to bring in some scales from the fish and they would age it for me. The fish was 9 years old according to the scales. He put the scales in some water and under a microscope. You could clearly see the rings in the scales. Each ring, equaled one year. They did it for me right then when I brought the scales in.

I'm not sure why it's taking so long for you...bummer.

Let us know when you find out!

Thanks!

Steve

The tried to age it by the scales and they came back inconclusive.  Scale aging is inacurrate most of the time.  The have the head to age it the bones in the inner ear.  I figured we would get resultsback before the mount but that did not happen!

You got the mount before the head? That's just crazy! I have head about that technique about aging. Hope they get back to you soon!!! Ugh!

Yup.  They have had the head since September of last year.  I picked up the mount last week.  I had to wait to get them the head until the taxidermist had all the measurements so he could order a fake head.