Fluorocarbon Leaders

How many of you are using Fluorocarbon leaders tied to 30lb line when fishing downriggers and spoons?  If so, what length leaders and pound test are you using? Also, what is the best knot when tying the leader to the main line? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Edited by MikeyP

I'm using 6 lb seaguar flourocarbon down in the finger lakes...maybe 6 to 10ft. You don't need much. I use 8 lb on my fly rod in the salmon river to fight kings with. Seaguar is definitely my first choice! And just a regular trout fisherman not works great.

How many of you are using Fluorocarbon leaders tied to 30lb line when fishing downriggers and spoons?  If so, what length leaders and pound test are you using? Also, what is the best knot when tying the leader to the main line? Thanks in advance for your replies.

I leader all of my spoon rods with 12' of 20# Blood Run flouro. I use a size #3 spro swivel for my connections and tie them with a palomar knot.

8-9 foot leaders (rod length) of 20# seaguar.  i dont use a swivel i tie the albright knot to connect the two lines.  i fish mainly lake ontario.

for flashers im just running 30# big game all the way to F/F

Edited by BrokeOff

I bought 18ln Trilene 100% fluorocarbon leader line. I also bought some of the Pline Flouroclear 12 lb. I will run rod length so like 10' of leader material connecting to the big game 30# line. Have to look into what knot I will use.

Uni to Uni or Blood knot will work for joining mono to flouro. When it comes to braid and you are connecting to mono or flouro I like the albright knot.

We use a flouro leader on most of our rods. 15lb when running spoons for Salmon and 20lb when we are running meat and flys. When fishing BT we leader down to 8lb flouro.

The Albright knot will definitely work, but according to knot wars I thought the Blood knot and Uni to Uni were the strongest for joining two lines. 

I'm not a fan of the Uni to Uni because its a bulkier knot, and I notice it when reeling it through the guides.

Remember to never make a leader long so that it goes into or through your levelwind. You'll be pissed when fleas or cottonwood find that knot and jam up your reel when a big boy is close to the net.

I leader all of my spoon rods with 12' of 20# Blood Run flouro. I use a size #3 spro swivel for my connections and tie them with a palomar knot.

That is a great setup right there. 

Rigged up my two dr rods with30lb big game and tied my first Albright knot using about 12 feet of flouroclear leader. Was prett easy really. Ran 18lb leader. Overkill for my lake but wanna get used to the rods etc.

Uni to Uni or Blood knot will work for joining mono to flouro. When it comes to braid and you are connecting to mono or flouro I like the albright knot.

We use a flouro leader on most of our rods. 15lb when running spoons for Salmon and 20lb when we are running meat and flys. When fishing BT we leader down to 8lb flouro.

I use the double uni too and never had a break off at the knot. Just make sure to lubricate really good both lines.

I have used a Bristol knot before with good success, it works really well when tying thin braids to heavy mono or flouro

Sent from the awesomeness of Chas!

Edited by Chas0218

ok, what does everyone use to connect Fireline (as your mainline) to your flourocarbon. I havent tried it yet but my brother has and his results have been that the fireline cuts the flourocarbon. i.e. hooks fish looses fish reels line in...breaksoff clean at the knot

I don't know what the best knot for fireline is, but I'd tie braid with a tiny spro swivel and two palomar knots. Leader to spro first then mainline to spro second carrying the entire leader through the loop of the palomar knot.

The Albright knot will definitely work, but according to knot wars I thought the Blood knot and Uni to Uni were the strongest for joining two lines.

I'm not a fan of the Uni to Uni because its a bulkier knot, and I notice it when reeling it through the guides.

Remember to never make a leader long so that it goes into or through your levelwind. You'll be pissed when fleas or cottonwood find that knot and jam up your reel when a big boy is close to the net.

You are correct uni to uni was strongest on knot wars blood knot second. I like the blood knot bc I grew up tying it fly fishing. Its fast thin and strong.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey adk1...is your brother using Berkley Vanish flouro?   I had problems with Vanish breaking at the knots.(full spit soak and everything)  I switched to Berkley proffesional grade flouro and it works great...knock on wood!

Edited by apb

Hey adk1...is your brother using Berkley Vanish flouro? I had problems with Vanish breaking at the knots.(full spit soak and everything) I switched to Berkley profesional grade flouro and it works great...knock on wood!

I guide on the Salmon River and tried vanish one trip and one trip only. It has the worst knot strength of anything I have used. P line halo is my favorite.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey adk1...is your brother using Berkley Vanish flouro?   I had problems with Vanish breaking at the knots.(full spit soak and everything)  I switched to Berkley proffesional grade flouro and it works great...knock on wood!

Good question, I will check to find out!

Hey adk1...is your brother using Berkley Vanish flouro? I had problems with Vanish breaking at the knots.(full spit soak and everything) I switched to Berkley proffesional grade flouro and it works great...knock on wood!

We were breaking a lot with vanish, I made the switch to segaur and will never look back.

Sent from the awesomeness of Chas!

I have Pline fluorocarbon..my knots have held up to my walleye so far haha...kind of funny pulling into the launch on my lake with 10' salmon rods rigged with 30lb big game on them and 30 class reels.....