Fishing Poles for Steel Line

Egoody

I'm looking for your input and recommendations for what pole(s) you've had gook luck with for running dipsy's with steel line.

I'm going to set up two poles with Okuma 45D line counter reels with 1000 feet of steeel line. I've looked at the Okuma's, Diawa's, and Shimano poles. As you can guess the reviews are favorable from each of the manufacturers. So now I'm turning to you as users to give me your recommendations.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Boat Safe

Egoody

Fitzwilliam, NH

Fishing on Lake Michigan, I use the Shimano Toleras.  Kinda pricy but I love them for fiesty kings and bows.

If you are going with the 45D for a reel, you may want to send it into Tuna Tom for drag upgrades.  I even upgraded my Daiwa 47LCAs to run wire on them - also had power handles added.  With the pull of a dipsy and no stretch, you want to be able to fine tune the drag as much as possible while its in the water.    

Of all the rod's i've touched (priced under $100) i like the 10 ft Ugly Stik dipsey rod the best!  They're $60.  Don't forget to buy a twilli tip.  If you haven't bought the reels yet...i'd go with a 30 size Okuma Convector or a Daiwa Sealine 47Lc or a 30 Saltist.  A 45 is too big for 1,000 feet of wire and your linecounter won't be accurate (unless you put a bunch of backing on to fill the reel). The Cabelas depthmaster 9 ft dipsey rod isn't too bad for $35.  And the Eagle Claw Starfire 10 ft rod dipsey rod (aka banana pole) is decent too for $30.   

Fishing on Lake Michigan, I use the Shimano Toleras.  Kinda pricy but I love them for fiesty kings and bows.

If you are going with the 45D for a reel, you may want to send it into Tuna Tom for drag upgrades.  I even upgraded my Daiwa 47LCAs to run wire on them - also had power handles added.  With the pull of a dipsy and no stretch, you want to be able to fine tune the drag as much as possible while its in the water.    

x 2  Talora TLA-80mrg-2  8 ft coupled with a Shimano tekota 600lc is a pretty sweet rig for LO Kings.

Do you need a roller guide rod? No.

But they are a pleasure to fish wire with and your wire will last a couple of seasons longer going through the rollers.

Worth the extra money as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck

Edited by spoonfed-1

I agree you do not need a 40 class reel to run 1000feet of steel. I have the Okuma convector 30 class reels for my dips eh rods. 1 I run mono and the other wire. The wire easily holds 1000 feet with some30lb big game backing and fluorocarbon leader

I have Okuma magda pro 45's on Shimano TDR rods. 8.5' and 9.5' I think (I run two per side) No need for a Twilly tip. I have two seasons on them with little to no tip wear. I run 19 strand torpedo wire, it's pretty forgiving. Just cut out the pigtails and kinks every so often. If u have the $$ Tekotas are nice. Just not worth it to me, so many other things to buy

Thank you everyone for your reply's.

Looks like I'll go with the convector 30's with 1,000 feet of wire.

Seeing that I only visit lake O for a week in the spring and the fall, I'll pick out a couple of less expensive okuma dipsey rods.

We're staying in Little Sodus Bay in May, hoping to to pick up some spring browns,

I'll look for more brown techniques as it gets closer to May.

Again thanks for you information.

Boat safe

Egoody