Boats Crashing into Piers

Now I haven't spent much time out at night but usually leaving port dark thirty to get some early light fishing in. On top of that with all the boats crashing into the piers as of lately why is there no enforcement on the water. I was out of Irondequoit bay yesterday morning and before I even left the USCG was on the radio of a boat on the rocks at Irondequoit pier. Which there was a sunken boat that was destroyed on the NW corner. Then I believe around 930 another boat hits the Summerville pier. What's the deal with these people. Then at 1230 the USCG on radio with a warning of hazardous boat conditions in Irondequoit Bay. I praise them and the sheriff's but there just isn't enough enforcement. I came in around 430 and sheriff's were motoring out, get through channel and it looked like all hell was breaking loose. There boats flying well over the 25mph speed limit jet skis doing the same and about 50-60 sailboats going east to west in every bodies path. cRAZy I tell you. Kind of makes me nervous

I agree with you can't fix stupid but just the situation in the bay is getting out of control. 2 weeks ago I had asailbkat cross my path and I ablidged cause he had the right of way, I literally turned my head for 1 second and looked forward an he did a total 180 and was crossing my path as I was on top of him. I through the boat into neutral then reverse and my anchor pulpit damn near caved his head inlet alone my party I had on board to a spill cause these people don't think things through. In my opinion they could honestly put up more lighting on these piers to give the totally inexperienced boaters more to see. The best part is they can be solar so there is no energy at our cost or there's. For me its about safety that's all and lately it really sucks to have to watch over your shoulder for the idiots.

I agree. I-bay is the craziest inlet I've used on Lake O. Every time I come back usually ard 12 to 1pm it's a mad house trying to get in.

I agree. I-bay is the craziest inlet I've used on Lake O. Every time I come back usually ard 12 to 1pm it's a mad house trying to get in.

Agree 100%. There's times you can't even cross the channel to get to your slip at Mayers's there's so much boat traffic. I've also had many a day that the Bay is choppier than the Lake simply from all the boat wake action!!!!

The genesee river and I bay are over patrolled! Coast guard, sheriffs, state park police, boarder patrol, city of rochester police (saw this boat for the first time the other day fishing the pier) and the state park police. The patrols spend too much time doing safety inspections instead of stopping idiots. When I had my boat on Ibay, we would get stopped by the Monroe county sheriff almost every trip for a safety inspection. That time could have been spent giving tickets for speeding, or unsafe operation!

That's kind of the issue I was meaning to say. They don't alternate, I see them there together so when one leave the rest follow soon behind and it become a free for all. I was docked in my slip yesterday and you would have thought we were on the lake in 3-4 footers we were rocking so bad.

The genesee river and I bay are over patrolled! Coast guard, sheriffs, state park police, boarder patrol, city of rochester police (saw this boat for the first time the other day fishing the pier) and the state park police. The patrols spend too much time doing safety inspections instead of stopping idiots. When I had my boat on Ibay, we would get stopped by the Monroe county sheriff almost every trip for a safety inspection. That time could have been spent giving tickets for speeding, or unsafe operation!

This is spot on - great post Brian! I agree 100%.

Agree 100%. There's times you can't even cross the channel to get to your slip at Mayers's there's so much boat traffic. I've also had many a day that the Bay is choppier than the Lake simply from all the boat wake action!!!!

+1 many that don't belong on the water and if you want to see a real circus try using the public launch on the weekend

Well boys I agree there are way too many boaters out there that don't know what they are doing. And I must say that I agree with having to take a boater safety course. Mite give a few of them some much needed info!

Edited by slow rollin

Yeah, I-bay is insane at times. It is like running the gauntlet trying to get back to Sutter's. Your head needs to be on a constant swivel. We dragged a boat off of the sand about 5 feet from the rocks a couple of years ago at the end the channel. He said he lost power but his prop was trimmed up out of the water. The wind and waves were slowly pushing him into the rocks and out of 6 boats we were the only ones to offer assistance. We were the smallest lowest powered boat there and the Sheriff was just inside the channel writing life jacket tickets.The marina back by Bazils wants to add 150 or so more slips too. I don't think the bay can handle all of that traffic. I'm giving serious thought to Hughes for next year. I never took a safety course, just learned from other people, but I agree it is time to start requiring it for everyone. Not to make this about sail boats and power boats, but I'm not sure why they have to run the sailboat races east and west across the entire width of the bay either.

As for Basils, I really don't see the Army Corp allowing for another 150 slips in that marina but money talks only because they are part of Mario's and he seems to get what he wants. Jlogger you are on the south dock from me. You really missed a interesting day there Sunday. Kind of why I started this thread cause every weekend it seems to get worse there. I also am thinking about making a move but to the west, especially for the money we pay there.

Edited by Sea-IV

As for Basils, I really don't see the Army Corp allowing for another 150 slips in that marina but money talks only because they are part of Mario's and he seems to get what he wants. Jlogger you are on the south dock from me. You really missed a interesting day there Sunday. Kind of why I started this thread cause every weekend it seems to get worse there. I also am thinking about making a move but to the west, especially for the money we pay there.

Yeah, the price is steep there. I was right across from your slip to start the season but I moved over after they pushed that dock out. It got way too tight on the north side of the north dock. Last I heard that marina at Basil's was battling over the number of slips they could add because of the Bald Eagle nest back there. Some of the proposed slips would have been within a restricted distance to the nest. I haven't heard anything on it in a while now, so hopefully they killed it all together. The slips were going to be in compliment the condo project that they are building on that hill next to Basil's. I was in Maine last weekend and it sounds like I should be thankful. It's only going to get worse I think.