Mono for Dipsies

Mono is to stretchy, with a a lot of line out it is next to impossible to trip the dipsey, for lure changes and such. Dragging in an untripped dipsie sucks big time. When using dipsey's braid or wire allow you or a fish to trip the planer, if you want some shock absorbtion use a snubber

I ran mono for a few seasons to save a few bucks and did have success. It was tough to set the dipsy realse up right to allow it to trip with all that stretch and if you get 200' of line out it can be a pain... Sometimes they would work great sometimes not so much. Last spring I up graded one of my setups to try wire and this winter I just setup another one there is a huge difference they work great. You can use mono, but if you go with wire you will be much happier with the results I think

wire only here,you dont want stretch,when the fish hits you want the dipsey to trip and sets the hook.your mono leader,which we make the length of the rod you are you using is the only stretch you want.we use okuma 30 series reels filled with 1000' of wire and 10' talora rods.there is nothing like the feel of a salmon on a wire rod,you can feel him blink his eye's!!!!!you do want your drag as loose as possible and you have to expain to people,especially bass hole fisherman,NOT TO TRY TO SET THE HOOK.

we dont use a snubber,if you set the drag right and know how to fight a fish,no need for a snubber.if you are fishing for salmon,you shouldnt have any plastic rod holders on your boat,especially for a dipsey rod holder.

Wire and braid for dipsey divers for all the reasons already mentioned. The exception for me is during the Spring when fishing very shallow where I often use the small dipseys with mono (10-25 ft of water range). The reason is  that there is less line out and the stretch factor is not all that great and if it hangs up on bottom it is not potentially quite as "messy" and because there is less drag than with medium or magnum sized dipseys so I can just use the downrigger rods with them. I let them out until I hit bottom and then keep them just off bottom.

I run everything in there...I've had plenty of fish come right into the prop wash for lures when the water isn't crystal clear. A lot of times I run floating jointed Rapalas on lines off my outriggers with a one large split shot, lightweight spoons off boards out beyond them, downriggers with longer than usual leads (staggered) run a few feet under the surface, and the small dipseys so that I am "straining" the water but I run it that way mainly on the Finger Lakes and not during the main king season on Lake O :lol: One of the reasons for the dipseys in that situation is to stir up a commotion because often the fish (often lakers) come on the lines in back of them as well

Edited by Sk8man

like sk8 said,we use the big jon mini discs in the shallow water.you can put these out on your mono rigger rods.its just another presentation.you can fish them right behind the boat.we usually put one down the shute,its not out very far.so if you hook a fish on something else, you can bring it in quickly to get it out of the way.

Mono slide divers account for up to 40% of my king catch on some days in late April and early May. Cashed more than a few tournament checks because of slide divers and mono. Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

PZ;

Are you using standard SD's or are you using Lite Bite SD's. The lite bites break much easier than the standard SD's.

John

Standard Slide divers. I should qualify my earlier post by saying I typically use my slide divers to target fish 40' and up. That said, I rarely have more than 130' of line out. In fact my favorite set is 90' out with 20' from the diver to the bait. Tripping them is not an issue.

Edited by Paul Czarnecki

Standard Slide divers. I should qualify my earlier post by saying I typically use my slide divers to target fish 40' and up. That said, I rarely have more than 130' of line out. In fact my favorite set is 90' out with 20' from the diver to the bait. Tripping them is not an issue.

PC;

Thanks for the info!

John

Snubber with wire? Also, can you use a standard Rod holder like a cabelaa 360 or so you need a launcher type Rod holder?

No, no, no, no you want a substantial rod holder. I almost lost an entire pole because my buddy put it in a plastic rod holder. I took them off the boat and just junked them.

Sent from my thinking car!