Suggested lures for spring ontario walleyes

Senor Snagger

We go out at night along the north shore of the Black River Bay, we use glow spoons and lures, I'm really leaning towards the glow patterns of the Bay Rats because of the rattles and the glow, even just the lures in black and silver with the rattles worked for us producing nice Browns and pike along with eyes.

Oswego you want to run large jointed rapala's black silver, blue silver, truese.

I used to cast off the piers at night and these produced much better than any other pattern. 

As others have said.. for the Oswego area, Rapala is the lure of choice. We've night trolled the river and the breakwall there and done well using F18's in blk/silver and blu/silver. We troll the mouth of the St. Lawrence and Lake Erie and Rapalas don't work.. but the Oswego eyes like them for some reason! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

What do you use in the St Lawrence? I troll the areas around Gananoque and do ok with rappies.

Up around the river and on Lake Erie we use Renosky's.. a bit wider body and much wider wobble than Rapalas. We also do well later with worm harnesses behind dipsies. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

I broke into the walleye game last year. It amazed me how the outpouring of advice was just as elusive as the fish themselves. I asked one charter captain what had been working. His reply was, "oh you know, the usual stuff.". Another captain told me, " it just takes practice." Good advice on both accounts. I found I had to fish enough to find out what the "usual stuff" is, and put in a ton of "practice.". It doesn't surprise me anymore when someone asks for advice, and gets very little.

Good luck talking to charter captians, I only know of 1 maybe 2 that have ever helped anyone out. I have a buddy that I fish with a lot and we go out 5 or 6 times together during the summer and catch some walleye, he is so tight lipped he will lie to his own grandmother about where he caught the fish. 

I don't mind giving out info on baits or location, 

BUT

I did have to work my butt off and spend lots of $$$$ and time to see what worked and what didn't. I think there is a much larger learning curve with walleye fishing than salmon.