I know it has nothing to do with the lake,just wondering if anyone has gone out to Albany area and fished the Hudson River for stripers? Looks like it would be fun.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Edited by Giz9219

we did it,but just south of albany in catskill.did for several years in a row till we started fishing lake o.its alot of fun,towed the boat down and stayed for a week.dont need much as far as tackle.its all about timing.the run doesnt last that long.

i did it a couple times but farthur south to the poughkeepsie area (wife has family there).  Tacke was easy for me egg singers barrel swivels and circle hooks found a bait ship with blood worms  and was set.  find fish on your graph and drift in them with the bait suspended at the depth of fish.  got some off of the bottom but did better up high bottom was also more prone to other fish like catfish and eels.  put the egg singer on your main line tie on the swivel than a flouro leader than the circle hook.  I used my downrigger rods set them in a holder parallel with the water turn on the clicker and put the real in neutral.  when they started to hit pick up the rod and when they swim away click the reel in gear and hold on the circle hooks made it easy.  It was a blast I wish i could talk my wife into doing again.  

there is a website stripers247.com that is a great place for some info both on timing the run and how to fish it.  we did mid may each time which worked for there.

The Hudson is my home in May. Yea I'd like to fish browns and eyes in the spring again but I keep my boat there on the water in May, the easiest fishing out there with the chance to put a fish 20lbs in the boat each trip, soaking blood worms on a drift. If you want some relaxing fishing, this is it and it's 2 hours from my home. The cost is 25 for gas and 50 bucks for bait, can't beat it.

the run is water temp.dependent.as the water warms they keep heading up the river.so,depending on where you fish,will dictate what time.usually mid-april they start showing up down south and by beginning of may they are up to albany,but probably will be later this year.i use my rigger rods,a sinker slide,which is a plastic slide with a clip for your sinker.your fishing line passes through it and you stop it with a barrel swivel 3 feet above your hook,this allows you to change weight as the tide changes in strength.we dont drift,we anchor up on shoals or channel edges and fish the bottom with herring chunks and always 1 live lined.like was stated above,leave reel in neutral with clicker on.stripers like to pick up a bait,run with it a bit then drop it,then come back for it,so,dont set the hook right away,let them run.stripers 24/7 is a great site to learn and keep up with reports.also,river basin sport shop in catskill has a great website with reports.he has run a striper contest for the last 27 years,but is looking to retire soon,so isnt running it this year.look at the size of the fish that have won in the past!!!!!giz,if you are looking to go,i think i have hooks,sinkers and the slides ill give you if you need them.

Edited by finsntins

Thanks guys for the input,have to find time as usual,going to be build a camp this year in the finger lakes as with all the other chores at home like firewood,staining my buildings,trying to get my 55 chevy on the road this year,and not to mention are two little new golden retriever pups!had to put my best friend down do to bone cancer 6 weeks ago.miss her a lot!post-149261-14267259641775_thumb.jpgpost-149261-14267259887373_thumb.jpg

I usually go to Cape Cod in June for stripers and when my wife does not want to come along I might try to find some strippers...

Good one,didn't even notice it before,my wife is cracking up!!!😂

Edited by Giz9219

More info on regulation changes for you guys:

New Striped Bass Limits

Effective March 17, 2015

New York State is committed to maintaining a healthy stock of striped bass for both recreational and commercial fishing. To comply with the Atlantic States Marine Fishery Commission’s (ASMFC) mandated 25-percent harvest reduction, effective March 17, 2015, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has established limits that will allow the striped bass stock to recover more quickly. These limits are:

Recreational:

Marine and Coastal district (south of the George Washington Bridge): 1 fish, 28 inches or larger, during the Apr. 15 – Dec. 15 season

Hudson River (all tributaries north of George Washington Bridge and all inland waters): 1 fish, 18-28 inches OR 1 fish larger than 40 inches during the Apr. 1 – Nov. 30 season

Delaware River: 1 fish, 28 inches or larger (no closed season)

Commercial: The commercial quota was reduced by 25%. A slot limit of 28-38 inches during the Jun. 1 – Dec. 15 season are the new limits.

New York also recommends the use of “circle-hooks†while fishing for stripers since this reduces the mortality of released fish.

NOTE: Anadromous river herring regulations remain the same for the Hudson River. The possession ban remains only for the Marine and Coastal District and all other waters in New York State.

Please visit the NYS DEC website for details on the new limits and regulations .

Sent from Day Break using my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I live right on the river in the Kingston area. Usually around 52-54 degrees water temp and the fish are around with the peak time being Mother's Day weekend. We fish mainly live herring like mentioned with slip sinkers on main line and a leader set up. Once the spawn starts, you will know when because they start swirling/bulling on top, we found you have to troll as bait doesn't work well then. Troll the deeper water on the channel edge. There are some nice fish to be had and it's a blast. Turkey's early morning and stripers the rest of the day. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Firechief48