9.9 kicker on 19' islander

Finally found a kicker for my boat, now time to mount it. Looking for advise on tying into main I/O tank or separate tank. Also what distance away from outdrive should kicker be. Im told in down position the water intake should be just below bottom of boat. Rather install it myself to save some cash. Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Getting the kicker motor height correct is a balance of keeping the prop in the water when rough and not submersing the cowling. Water intake just below hull is likely too high for big water...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 19.5' Islander with a 9.9 Merc kicker. Unless your running ethanol free fuel in your main tank, get a small 3 gallon plastic tank and use the ethenal free fuel for your kicker. I had to have my carburetor re built 3 times from running it off of my main tank. I even loaded my big tank with the ethanol treatment additives and it did nothing. As soon as I switched to ethanol free fuel I had no more problems. 3 years now and no more carburetor problems. My kicker runs like a charm. :)

Even from the standpoint of "backup" to your big motor it makes sense to have a separate tank in case your fuel supply gets compromised (e.g. by water entering it etc.)

I have a 22 ft islander and I run my 9.9 off the main tank. You must install a 2 way fuel valve so you can switch from main engine to your kicker. Very simple to install. I bought a nice brass one cost me about $70 I think. Well worth the $ not to have a separate tank.

I dose my main tank with Marvel Mystery Oil as per directions several times during the year.

I use it in my lawn & garden tractor, snowblower, ATV's, and our automobiles.

I notice smoother operation of the V-6 in my 221 Islander.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 19.5' Islander with a 9.9 Merc kicker. Unless your running ethanol free fuel in your main tank, get a small 3 gallon plastic tank and use the ethenal free fuel for your kicker. I had to have my carburetor re built 3 times from running it off of my main tank. I even loaded my big tank with the ethanol treatment additives and it did nothing. As soon as I switched to ethanol free fuel I had no more problems. 3 years now and no more carburetor problems. My kicker runs like a charm. :)

X2. I run my kicker off my swim platform so I strap my 3 gallon tank to the platform, I've been in some rough sea's and have yet to get water in the fuel. I have a Evinrude 15hp long shaft so mine sticks almost as low as the main. Also doubles as a protection plan when something goes wrong with the main, how well I know!!! Good luck with it.

Edited by pap