Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

It is very frustrating as like most others my time is limited. The first doesn't bother as much because the season didn't start until the 15th not to long ago. However they ruined my favorite season (muzzle loader ) by taking away the possibility of shooting a buck. Some of my best have come during that season and there are very few hunters out at that time. I did not buy a muzzle loader tag this year and I have heard many others say the same. We don't have property south of the new regs so no sense in buying one. I feel sorry for all those that have lifetime licenses.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I almost bought a lifetime a couple years ago but generally I don't shoot that many deer where I need to go out with my muzzleloader. I'm usually good for a doe and buck.  Generally I hold out all of archery season for that one wall hanger but end up using it on a doe otherwise.

Your correct it ruins it for the rest of us. I have land in the southern tier and I can almost bet that the amount of road hunters and trespassing goes way up due to the changes made up here. I deal with enough of this crap every year and I put a lot of tree time in during deer season, how often do you think we see a DEC officer just trolling through the area. I can tell you that I haven't seen one in 2 years. So now I am left to enforce laws that I shouldn't have to. I know I veered off topic but it all seems to fall back to changes that get made makes idiots act even dumber

Legacy and others are you hunting 8f or some surrounding WMU's? Notice the doe only first 2 weeks of bow and all of muzzleloader? Why not first 2 of regular season? DEC has no clue I swear.

I hunt 8J luckily which is the first WMU outside the doe onlys. The late muzzleloader rule baffles me more than any other part of the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by PeltHunter

Yah that just hit me also about muzzleloader. So we are supposed to be taking does out to sustain the herd but yet lets shoot them after they are bred and pregnant with possibly twins. That gives a new meaning to sustainable living. What the hell are they thinking?

I spoke too soon.. I thought my aunts property was in 8J but I just got my license and before I went I found a link with an overlay of the WMUs on Google maps and her land is actually just on the 8F side of the border. So now I'm wondering do I go out opening day and shoot 2 does to fill my permits and wait until after the 14th to go out again and then aggressively hunt for a shooter buck or do I wait until the 14th hunt up in the ADKs and let whatever bowhunters are out the first to weeks push deer to the property I hunt.

I spoke too soon.. I thought my aunts property was in 8J but I just got my license and before I went I found a link with an overlay of the WMUs on Google maps and her land is actually just on the 8F side of the border. So now I'm wondering do I go out opening day and shoot 2 does to fill my permits and wait until after the 14th to go out again and then aggressively hunt for a shooter buck or do I wait until the 14th hunt up in the ADKs and let whatever bowhunters are out the first to weeks push deer to the property I hunt.

Do you like to hunt when the mosquitoes are out? Let your property chill til the rut and slip in the back door n kill a big one!

Adk!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No Link Between Moon Phase and Rut Peak???

I don't believe that the moon has some "magical" pull on breeding activity but rather more light from full moon phases allows for bucks to find and chase them during non-shooting hours. Its a visual thing.

Ready here are the dates you want to be in the woods for peak rut....Last 2 weeks of bow season bam, done, that is it, not a day before not a day after. haha 

Seriously though it is generally always around the same time each year. Whether it is caused by so many days after first frost, moon phase, or just their instinctual urges.

Chasing and breeding are two different things. At the time most of the does are being bred, the bucks are in lock-down. IMHO, weather has more to do with it than anything. A couple warm days seems to shut them down. Good, crisp weather, light steady winds, right at the start of the rut (give me Nov 3-10, please) when they're horny and stupid...okay, I've worked myself into a lather now  :P

FYI, I posted some thoughts on CWD on the Hunting New York Empire Hunting Forum.

I got called a "white coat" several times in reply by a deer farmer...I guess twenty five years of training in the field is outweighed by his personal experience. My only point was that CWD is scary and shouldn't be dismissed because it's not 100% lethal in deer. And that's from a guy without an agenda. Prion diseases, like most neurodegenerative disorders, progress with age. Deer only live to be 5-7. If it jumps to people, which BTW happened between sheep and people in England with a similar disease...well, we live a lot longer than deer. It could become the new Alzheimers, if not worse. Anyway, the thread is entertaining and it brought out some thoughtful commentary and a bunch of trolls. Nothing new.

The hot thing now is to steal a licking branch and reposition it by your stand. All that good nasty scent on it is supposed to lure them in.

I've seen five bucks walk by one branch in an evening and every one of them stops to lick it. One of them danced on his hind legs for a good 30 seconds to wrap his antlers around it. Quite the show. 

I haven't tried it yet. Anybody?

I always get a kick out of people on deer shows touching a fence post rub with their hands......I would not touch a licking branch but I would hang my bow stand near one!

My father in law always gets pissed when I start to pick out all those little things on the TV shows.  He always asked why can't I just enjoy the show? I would highly recommend getting a camera on a rub to see when the deer comes to rub and see if there is a pattern same with licking branches. 

One thing I'm not about to do is cut a branch down that the deer know is there and they use. It's almost like standing in camo letting them get close then jumping out at them and yelling gotchya! I'm betting they won't come back to that spot for a while.

I've moved a licking branch and it did work the time I tried it. Wearing rubber gloves I cut a branch from a different farm and hung it over a mock scrape near a stand.  I got pics of 3 different bucks using that "fake" branch. Disclaimer: They weren't huge bucks, 2 21/2 yr old 8 pts and a little fork horn but they still came in to investigate it.

Election Day I will be in a stand, It always seems to be a great day to see Bucks.

The 11th to the 18th is my favorite time to be in the woods as I predominately hunt bow. That being said the 22nd to the 27th is the time when the giants come out of the woodwork to breed the last available does. At least in my short 7 year existence as a hunter.

No matter what the charts tell you, or the moon, or the sun dial, or any "professional predictions", the time to be in the woods is November. This year we get 3 weeks in November to bow hunt before the gun opener. Im predicting those 3 weeks to be the best! lol