Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

Save your money. If you want to make a mock scrape, find one that you aren't going to hunt over and shovel up the dirt from it into a container and put it where you want it. I have never seen good behavior by deer around commercial scents....always negative.

I don't typically play with scents too much.( Doe in heat, doe pee, buck pee, etc) but I do play with Mock scrapes. I've actually had very good luck with mock scrapes. The licking branch is everything and the best ones already get scrape attention. For the most part I get a reactionary scrapes in close proximity to my mock scapes. 2-4 typically. And that just helps putting some natural scents closer to my stand.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use cover scent more than anything. Deer dander is a product that i never go in the bow woods without. Although it might not attract the deer it definitely has a calming effect on deer that are moving by my stand.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'd like to be getting excited about now, but it's tough with having to wait two weeks to even think about a chance at a big boy  :envy:

I have another forty trees and bushes coming in this afternoon to plant, so at least there's something to keep me occupied, but out in the woods at the same time. Shagbark hickory, Ohio Buckeye, several types of oaks, and a bunch of nannyberry, viburnum, american hazelnut and such.

The season is almost here. I emptied the boat yesterday in preparation for her long winter nap:( I never like to see the boat on land but i can imagine 51 days of archery will help cure the blues a bit. Clothes are washed, bag is packed. I think im ready. I need to continue to find time to visit the backyard range a few times a week but im as ready as im gonna be. The schedule has been crazy so I was a couple of weeks behind getting cameras out this year. Its been a month since i put 5 cameras out and I think im more excited to get out and see what I have on camera. I have been patiently waiting to see pic. Most of the cameras are deep in the woods and I didnt want to make a special trip and trample into the woods unnecessarily just to check them. I will have to wait until I pull cards on my way in to hunt. 

Throughout last season, I made notes on set changes. Stands that needed a bit of "tweaking" in the off season all based on hindsight from the deer season. About half the time i get a bow stand right the first time. But the other half of the time, some adjustments are needed. (Some stands were yanked, some were moved a couple trees away, I even moved one about four inches to the right on the tree.) I did make it through my entire punch list, so lets hope it pans out. 

Should be game time tomorrow but I won't hunt till the 15th

The bumbling DEC strikes again and their not well thought out plan for a larger doe harvest will be counter productive( I don't believe we need a larger doe harvest but money talks and the insurance lobby has the dec's ear not the sportsmen)

Good luck to those heading out early

Should be game time tomorrow but I won't hunt till the 15th

The bumbling DEC strikes again and their not well thought out plan for a larger doe harvest will be counter productive( I don't believe we need a larger doe harvest but money talks and the insurance lobby has the dec's ear not the sportsmen)

Good luck to those heading out early

Exactly, I've heard many guys not going. Their head is so far up their ass it amazes me. I won't be out either. 2 more weeks of not disturbing any.

silverfoxcharters.net

I wont be out till the 15th which makes me a little upset but not as much as having muzzleloader season taken away from me. Nothing better than cold temps and snow to get the big boys moving around again.

Yep the late muzzleloader season is really the big kick in the nuts.I won't be here for gun opener (wedding to attend in Fl.) I'll hunt somewhere I can kill a buck late muzzleloader season

i was going to travel to muzzleload hunt but i figured id just keep that $10 instead of giving it to the state.

I use cover scent more than anything. Deer dander is a product that i never go in the bow woods without. Although it might not attract the deer it definitely has a calming effect on deer that are moving by my stand.

Deer dander is the best calming scent out there. My wife hates it because I smell like I've been a member of the herd all season. Lol. On a side note, I'm seeing scrape activity on a couple of my properties already. I had a camera on the one scrape I found last week and there was 8 different bucks working it, with a shooter 9 and 10 pt among them. Needless to say, I won't be sitting there this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I Will be out to night and I am going to wack the 1st respectable doe that walks by! Temps are low so you don't have to worry about rushing to get out of the woods and hung/ skinned. I will be hunting one of my "non buck" stands. This is why I love having fill in spots because at least it puts me in the woods till the 15th and gets me in tune for when mr. Big walks by.

P.S. I am totally against what this state has taken away from us! But I will be damnd if they are going to keeping from doing what I love to do over some B S laws they decided to throw at us! Get in the woods shoot some does and get your confidence up.

Edited by JakeyBaby

Yup. That's what I keep telling myself. I don't have the excitement notched up yet, but I am itching to sit in a tree on the new land and see what I see. Not many big boys on the cameras yet, but I've been working over there a bunch, so I'm not too concerned about busting a stand. As plantings and such wind down, I'm confident they'll show up. Just in time to be met with a Slick Trick in the boilermaker!

I Will be out to night and I am going to wack the 1st respectable doe that walks by! Temps are low so you don't have to worry about rushing to get out of the woods and hung/ skinned. I will be hunting one of my "non buck" stands. This is why I love having fill in spots because at least it puts me in the woods till the 15th and gets me in tune for when mr. Big walks by.

P.S. I am totally against what this state has taken away from us! But I will be damnd if they are going to keeping from doing what I love to do over some B S laws they decided to throw at us! Get in the woods shoot some does and get your confidence up.

nope no can do... I'll wait till I gave the prospect of killing a buck Oct 1 is to damn early to start with

You guys are falling right in line with what they want .....so get used to not hunting buck till the 15th and no muzzleloader buck hunting

Some times you need to sacrifice for the greater good

Good luck to those that decide to hunt I understand your point

For me I'm putting my foot down and refuse to jack step to the DEC

How would sacrificing by not going be for the greater good though Dan? How is you or anyone that says " nope I'm not going till the 15th" going to do to change there minds? They dont care about the hunter lets be honest, they already have our money for the licence and dollers are all this state cares about! They say that doe numbers are high thats why we can't shoot the bucks? Well they are not going have an excuse when you go and take as many doe's as you can?

Matt when not many hunt and very few doe are killed the first 2 weeks they will realize it's a flawed plan.....of course it is the NYS DEC so they could get hit by a Mack truck and not realize they have been struck

Again I understand those that choose to hunt doe the first two weeks and don't begrudge anyone who does.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Whether u choose to hunt the first two weeks or not makes no difference in the DEC decision to keep this change in effect. My strategy has always been to fill doe tags early in archery on certain properties/ locations, and stay away from my hot Rut sets until the chase is on. If I was lucky enough to pattern a shooter buck on a food source early, sure I would be sitting there trying to get him. What the DEC will realize after this year is that their "strategy" is flawed. If they want doe numbers down, the only logical answer is to extend the antler less season into January. Whether it is primitive weapons only or not. Look at the success Ohio is having

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The late January season poses a couple challenges as well. 

1. If you aren't very careful there is a chance of shooting a buck that has dropped its antlers already, especially if it is a long range encounter.  

2.  I would not be real into the chance of shooting a doe and going to clean her up and finding a partially grown fawn fetus inside.

Not trying to throw shade on anyone's answers just a couple things to think about. 

Personally, around my area there aren't anywhere near the deer that there were last year and yet the DEC still  hands out 2 permits to everyone and people can go back an get more if they aren't all taken by oct 1st.  I found 9 winterkilled deer on the small area that I have to hunt.  If that keeps up there won't be many deer left to deal with if people aren't thoughtful about what they choose to harvest.