Nys and archery for the 2015 season

Mossyhorns

If you don't like the doe only season make the trip To Hunt somewhere else. You may let small bucks go but I GARUNTEE you are among the minority in that regard. There's alotttt of people with the "if it's brown it's down" theory. Weather it's a small doe, a spike, a monster 10, or a button buck that barely has balls. In my opinion NYS needs to instate some buck laws. I'm not sure "antler-less only" for the first 15 days is the way to go but it's a start. I agree more with the three per side regulation for the north country. Like I said if your that much of an avid deer hunter, travel somewhere else so you can shoot your buck early. It's not that far of a trip to get out of antler-less only. It may sound harsh but that's my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by WoodieBoater

I shoot my does when it's convenient, and that's generally later in the season once it's cooled off and I don't have to worry about spoilage. A doe-only start to bow season won't make me shoot them any earlier! Ie, I hunted last night and passed on three doe. Why was I out there? Who knows? You always make the choice of whether to let one fly or to refrain. I chose the later. I will shoot does, just when I choose, not DEC.

The primary benefit of early season moving to October 1st was for hunters who patterned bucks on summer food. This is a great way to arrow a big boy. Once the bachelor groups break up, their patterns change and all bets are off. That opportunity has been lost now, only a few years after it was given to us. 

But IMHO the only reason that DEC instituted the two week thing was that it's a necessary step in process and allows Phase 3 to happen: muzzleloader during archery. I think that Phase 2 is designed to fail, but implemented so that they've covered their butt and can tell archers that, "you were given a chance".

Seriously, though? Who in their right mind thinks that archers, which are a minority of the deer hunting population, can by themselves in a two week period make a significant dent in the doe population? And that's without the blowback that we're seeing from archers who either won't hunt at all or who go to the Southern Tier where they have a crack at a buck. It's a ridiculous management plan with little to no likelihood of success. Dollars to donuts, every archer in this area could arrow a doe and it wouldn't be enough to make DEC happy.

And here come the muzzleloaders! At least we have two years of this doe-only period mandated before they can implement Phase 3. Enjoy archery season while you can.

For the record, I have nothing against muzzleloaders and I love to gun hunt. But I bow hunt for different reasons, and bringing guns into bow season would negate most of those reasons. I'd rather have a shorter bow season and a progression from bow to muzzleloader to shotgun rather than have an interrupted bow season. Just my opinion.

I couldn't agree more gator, everything you said is spot on in my book. I did break down and head for the stand yesterday morning. I enjoyed watching a doe with triplets wander by as well as a fat racoon retreating to the safety of his hollow. I would not of shot a doe regardless at this point but had my video camera in hopes to keep my hands busy if the big one showed!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think that's the point. Although I'd be careful about alleging any particular misconduct without solid proof.

That having been said, it wouldn't surprise me to see some bucks come out of the doe-only area, particularly on the edges...

Nice buck either way. I guess you could call me one of those its brown its down guys. I enjoy venison. My family does too. I will pass small bucks early but if seasons winding down, ill meet my quota. When i learned to hunt, nobody mentioned how many inches a buck was carrying. Thats not what it was about. In my opinion its sad that now its all alot of people care for. To each there own i guess. Im happy with every deer I decide to take.

Nice buck either way. I guess you could call me one of those its brown its down guys. I enjoy venison. My family does too. I will pass small bucks early but if seasons winding down, ill meet my quota. When i learned to hunt, nobody mentioned how many inches a buck was carrying. Thats not what it was about. In my opinion its sad that now its all alot of people care for. To each there own i guess. Im happy with every deer I decide to take.

Me too..... I'm so sick of all the deer hunting shows on TV. All the same.... High fenced and a comercial for the sponsors. I watch the waterfowl and fishing shows ( not bass). Good luck out there bow hunters.... Much respect to you guys....

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It happened and that's all I'll comment on it

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'll comment. Right or wrong it has to be a tough call. Wonder how many hunters will be "poachers" as a result of the new regs. I still think it's funky as no fewer buck tags have been issued, they just took away some of the most enjoyable periods to be in the woods. If I could choose to give up the entire gun season to get back all of bow and that last week of muzzleloader I would do it in a second.

I'll mention that I have nothing against the guys that hunt to fill their freezer. I guess I was so harsh in my last post because I'm sick of guys complaining and "sitting in their recliner" just because they can't shoot bucks. If you hunt because you enjoy being in the woods on a crisp October morning and the reward of putting the best meat on earth on your table, hats off to you. If you need to be a trophy hunter go do it where it's legal so that you can get some time in a tree stand instead of a lazboy. Otherwise let the rest of us be happy to fill our freezers with doe meat.

I guess that was pretty harsh too. But I'm sick of listening to trophy hunters complain.

I'm a "trophy hunter" that has only shot 1 "big" buck in my life. I have no issue with what a man considers a shooter. That's why you have tags. My "big" buck would be passed by a lot of hunters. I live in 8c where any doe killed on a 8c tag is replaced with a bonus tag. Between me and my kids we take a lot of does for not just our table but for friends as well every year. Will someone please explain to me why I , who hasn't killed a buck in 4 years because I don't need the meat but would like to take what I consider a great deer, is getting c#%k blocked by the DEC.

My daughter will enjoy her first afternoon of bow hunting tomorrow. She has worked hard to become proficient (deadly) with her bow. She will be thrilled to kill a doe tomorrow or whenever it happens this fall but for her not to be able to fill her buck tag if the right situation arose doesn't make sense to me. Victim of zip code.

I don't need the meat either but i I prefer it. You seem to be legitimately screwed by the reg, but don't ruin it for your daughter. Teach her to enjoy being in the woods and hopefully the joy of her first deer.

IM pissed at the guy who has to sit in his recliner until the 15th because he can't shoot a rack. That to me is a "trophy hunter" someone who's just hunting for a rack.

I hope your daughter has a great experience and gets bit by the bug that drags the rest of us into the woods this time of year. If so someday she'll be complaining about something else the DEC has put out just like we are.

The DEC took the time from US guys that sit from Day 1 till the last 10 mins of season for ONE true deer of a life time period! This rule only hurts US that want to kill what they consider a trophy period. The 1st two weeks when bucks are most predictable by far and the last 2 weeks when they are most vulnerable by far ( which is when for the most part the guys who are looking for that big one are still hanging in a tree). Do as wish as a hunter by all means, but this rule has only hurt the meat hunter that also enjoy the bone!

I agree, I get pumped having racked bucks come through, and do hunt them but am not by any means above shooting a fork horn later in the year. I feel like most people ( i think) less goverment is better. I feel that what you shoot should be by preference. Give a handful of tags and let people hunt. Just my opinion. Im against antler restrictions for that reason. If you target big deer, have at it, older or. Younger hunter who cant hike 5 miles into a swamp will be thrilled with that 110lb spike. Again, just my 2 wheat pennys.

I don't need the meat either but i I prefer it. You seem to be legitimately screwed by the reg, but don't ruin it for your daughter. Teach her to enjoy being in the woods and hopefully the joy of her first deer.

IM pissed at the guy who has to sit in his recliner until the 15th because he can't shoot a rack. That to me is a "trophy hunter" someone who's just hunting for a rack.

I hope your daughter has a great experience and gets bit by the bug that drags the rest of us into the woods this time of year. If so someday she'll be complaining about something else the DEC has put out just like we are.

Being pissed at some of us that want to wait till the 15th is weak. Actually, your the only one I've seen or heard with that stance. I'll shoot 3 deer a year and hope I get a trophy. I'll wait most of the bow season for one and if I don't get one, I'll arrow a doe or a buck the last week.

I don't get pissed that your sitting in your recliner waiting for your steak while appetizers are on the table. Geesh. It's your choice.

silverfoxcharters.net

My daughter will enjoy her first afternoon of bow hunting tomorrow. She has worked hard to become proficient (deadly) with her bow. She will be thrilled to kill a doe tomorrow or whenever it happens this fall but for her not to be able to fill her buck tag if the right situation arose doesn't make sense to me. Victim of zip code.

Your a good Dad Billy!

silverfoxcharters.net