Coyotes and Fox 2016/2017

whaler1

To the fella using the calf for bait, let us know how it works out for you. Ten years ago we had a still born and that did not draw them in, we put road kills next to it and they ate that but not the calf??? Smell of the meds the calf had? they don't like Beef? I don;t know.....jk

I was just at Buddy's place he had a calf sat. Coyotes all over the birth location already. I'll be setting there tomorrow and the rest of my line. Waited for this rain to pass. Will have 50 or so out tomorrow...yotes fox beaver muskrat.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Great job to Porter! Proud moment for you too.

Tom's at both leases every day and night (winter break) and it's laughable how many good deer he sees.

Wish I saw them but it's like they know when it's over.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by whaler1

This guy came to the pile at about 11:30 last night. Switched to the red led for the light. I know a couple people criticized the cyclops but this light shoots a better beam than my million candle power hand held. This is my first with .17 WSM. Pretty good knock down power and didn't even wake my daughter!

It's not that the cyclops pred kit sold at cabelas is useless it's just that u can get so much better for the same money. U can actually get that exact same light under another name on amazon for $20 then get needed scope mounts for maybe another 20 and batteries and chargers for 15. Or u can just buy a wicked light pred kit for the same price as that cyclops and have something with 5x the quality with better everything that comes with it.

Do any of you guys get the magazine Nite Lite? Lots of goodies for after hours hunting, when I had my beagles and my cousins had their coon dogs we found out about this magazine. By the way congrats to the coyote kill, love to hear the 17 WSM stories, they certainly isn't the hype out there like the 17hmr. Don't understand why. If I could sell my 17hmr I would buy the 17wsm no doubt about it. Is what I herd true? The newer 17 rim fire WSM the 5mm necked to 17cal.? If so that's one hot smoking rifle. I have a 5mm, and I know what it can do!!

The .17 wsm was built on a 27cal nail gun blank. Twice the energy of a .22mag. All my bait pile shot are just inside of 100yds so I was hoping I could use the gun for both coyotes and foxes. On paper the gun shoots great however i have choked on two coyote shots so far. First was a clean miss under the green light. 2nd was hit but by the blood trail and lack of recovery I think possibly a high hit just over the shoulder below the spine. I tracked it for about 250 yds with a steady trail that just dried up. Circled out for quite a period of time and never found another drop of blood. Very frustrated with that one. I know with the way they were jumping the light I was rushing the shots. They have not been in since I switched to the red light so hopefully soon.

Very interesting!! I know my brother had those nail guns they are nasty, you can shoot a nail through a steel beam. When he built my house we have 3 different beams in 3 different places, different offsets and the main beam, I didn't want all those posts sticking up. The main beam was 3/8" thick and those shells shot right threw like nothing. But a good red lens that defuses the light is way better than the green lights. I went to a Dennis Kirk seminar and he like kept saying not to shine directly on the critters but let the hued light on the critter, then commence fire!! LOL what kind of damage did the bullet do on the kill shot, or didn't you pull an autopsy, like we do do see the bullet performance, we are always looking for the best bullet performances at the fastest speed, and before it blows up into shrapnel. Want a nice big rolled over mushroom with an exit hole at its peak size. I will look more into the shell itself now that I know where it originated. Thanks for the info. PAP.

I did uncover some interesting info to all the .17cal. Lovers out there, I put two & two together and came up with this info!! Hornady and Savage are working together and it's been tested. The older 1940's and newer wildcat, cartridges that surpassed the 220swift the Remington 17 and a 17fireball cartridges reloaders have no bullets to reload with other than their own, hornady told savage if they could build a 17 cal. Center fire cartridge and it took off they would make the 17cal. Bullets to also suit the earlier wildcat rounds, this has excited the guys of the wildcat 17. To purchase the rifle in hopes that hornady would keep their promises. They have used the 223. Necked it to .17 and some military composite rifling so it wouldn't be another barrel burner. Hmm, let's see what comes about. I also found price tags for these guns $550+ for a non camo stock and up to $640 for a name brand camo stock, and you thought the military is secretive!! HA HA LOL, this is like the show "Finding Hitler".

so i have not had much action on the pile recently,  finally last night at 1130 the alarm goes off.  i get the a/r ready and have the wife grab the spotlight, get all ready and she shines and theres two deer walking by... only time in the last 3 months i have not wanted to see deer  lol   

I did uncover some interesting info to all the .17cal. Lovers out there, I put two & two together and came up with this info!! Hornady and Savage are working together and it's been tested. The older 1940's and newer wildcat, cartridges that surpassed the 220swift the Remington 17 and a 17fireball cartridges reloaders have no bullets to reload with other than their own, hornady told savage if they could build a 17 cal. Center fire cartridge and it took off they would make the 17cal. Bullets to also suit the earlier wildcat rounds, this has excited the guys of the wildcat 17. To purchase the rifle in hopes that hornady would keep their promises. They have used the 223. Necked it to .17 and some military composite rifling so it wouldn't be another barrel burner. Hmm, let's see what comes about. I also found price tags for these guns $550+ for a non camo stock and up to $640 for a name brand camo stock, and you thought the military is secretive!! HA HA LOL, this is like the show "Finding Hitler".

Shot a squirrel with 17wsm today... About 40ish yds. Well it may be a little much unless you take head shots only lol. post-144765-14830192190741_thumb.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

UUH ya that definitely works!! Hope you catch up with a yote, I would love to see the smack down the 17 puts on a yote!! Savage claims it would be a good dog gun, I'm not sold on that yet. They claimed the hmr would do the same? We all know with the hmr with a perfectly placed shot, but when was the last time that happened. I don't know of to many guys that said the yote was standing broadside for 30 sec. Let alone trying to place a vitals shot. LOL. Good luck perseverance will always prevail!! PAP

2 more down with the fox pro. Could have been an epic night if all opportunities were taken advantage of. Should be a pile of yotes laying next to those foxes. New .204 did it's job but why on earth would anyone make a trigger guard out of plastic. 1 bump against my sticks and it shattered into 4 pieces.

post-145970-0-94161800-1483055323_thumb.jpg

Is a 30.30 a good yote gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If your goal is just to kill them dead it's a great gun as long as you've got it dialed in. If your looking to minimize pelt damage its definitely not the best choice. If it's your only option and u want to try and save pelts maybe u could look for a fmj type round to minimize expansion. I used a 30.06 when I first got started years ago. It certainly got the job done. Lol

At todays fur prices the average northeast coyote is not worth much.  One out of ten are decent with white bellys and clear backs.  The pups of this year are the nicest but of course they are smaller, but not beat up in fighting the brush and each other.  Scared, damaged, rubbed pelts are at best $5 right now, the best maybe $25.  Not much money for skinning those smelly things and definitely not enough money once they are frozen.  To me skinning a frozen coyote is miserable and I like skinning and putting up fur.   Someone correct me if you think my prices are wrong.  Bad year for fur prices.....jk