LOU Members Input Needed ASAP

Michigan's experience with mussels is covered very well in the Michigan Sportsman web site. This year I have dragged mussels up from 75 foot of water. The size of this biomass is distressing. I failed to see pinhead emeralds this summer and that is scary. The crystal clear water is a sign of algae absence. We are at the point of a dead lake as when we failed to consider the smelt dominance of the late 1960's.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I am for the ADJUSTMENT in 2017 as you know, but I think the tagging trailer NEEDS to be utilized every year to keep a grasp on how many Salmon are in the lake. This means a much more involved program to collect heads as well. We have the technology yet Canada is clearly more interested in Salmon science than we are. They are tagging fish to collect data on Salmon movements. They have counters in streams to determine how big a run is. They also SELECTIVELY harvest bigger fish for reproduction. It's funny to me how we evaluate Alewife multiple times a year, but we did one study on Salmon. 

Just wondering why clients are allowed a 3 fish limit when the Dec regs suggest eating only 1 fish per year due to mercury ? Seems to be a confliction. Am I missing something ?

They test the whole fish, not just the meat and what keeps the clients from putting them in their freezer?

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

I am for the ADJUSTMENT in 2017 as you know, but I think the tagging trailer NEEDS to be utilized every year to keep a grasp on how many Salmon are in the lake. This means a much more involved program to collect heads as well. We have the technology yet Canada is clearly more interested in Salmon science than we are. They are tagging fish to collect data on Salmon movements. They have counters in streams to determine how big a run is. They also SELECTIVELY harvest bigger fish for reproduction. It's funny to me how we evaluate Alewife multiple times a year, but we did one study on Salmon. 

Agree 200%!!!!

I 2nd, 3rd & 4th that motion about the clipping trailer!  The also ought to do some updates on the telemetry studies that were done way back when and this time take in to account the invasives (mussels) and changing lake temperatures along the nearshore areas. (not just mid lake)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

There is definitely a lot of stress on the micro life in the lake. Small crustaceans that are food for small fishes, are being attacked by the spiny sea flea, a predator crustacean. The plankton filtering mussels, also removing food for small fishes. The forage fishes, that the predator fish we like to catch (Salmon, Trout, Pike, Bass, Perch), are really having a hard time finding their food base after years of filtering.

We do have a lot of nutrients from Lake Erie, but in my observations over many years, it has become more difficult to find the fertile waters, indicated by the green tint and obscurity of vision into the depths. A lot of clear black water out there lately. Weather patterns have a lot to do with that, but usually it is not so affected for long periods of time. Generally the color comes back more quickly. It just seems to be that Erie cannot keep up with the current depletion of micro life as well as in previous years.

I certainly hope we don't get any more invasive plankton, or crustacean filtering organisms than we already have.

Michigan I think already has another plankton eater and this one is even more serious than ones we have now. Asian carp. Maybe there is already too many plankton eaters and the carp won't get a hold. Hopefully, in the worst case if they spawn, we will have enough shallow water predators, (pike, bass, panfishes) to eat their young, so the emeralds, alewife, and smelt don't have another plankton filter robbing their forage.

Those carp are great for the archery guys, but I wouldn't want to be a part of combat fishing for them. Could be a little bit dangerous.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Absolutely nothing. I'm trying to learn something. And I did.

The NYS Health department did a study two years ago on people that eat fish from Lake Ontario.  I was one of them.  They took blood samples and urine samples to check for contaminants in my body.  All levels were very low and I eat a lot of fish from the lake.  I was talking with the head of the project and she told me mercury levels in Lake Ontario are way down compared to what they used to be.  Recently, they changed the eating restrictions on trout and salmon on Lake Ontario.  We can now eat more than one meal a month except for lake trout. 

post-139748-14758432208454_thumb.jpg here is a 235 page report on "Guide to eating Ontario fish " that is very interesting.post-139748-14758434228372_thumb.jpg can be found online at this website (sent in FRENCH also,   I don't know why I did )

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL