Gas mileage

Fishnut

Not an expert on the subject but based on my Ranger 621, that probably goes 3000 pounds all in, I’d recommend the 15. Dealer talked me into the 9.9 and it works pretty hard in chop and even more trying to get to musky speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Secondary question. Which bag should I pull? Port or starboard?

My prop turns clockwise if your standing behind the boat looking at it.

Rig both, but run one port side in calm seas or up/down wind, in a beam sea run it to the windward side.

Owner John's Custom Rods

Specializing in building Great Lakes trolling rods since 1979

First place winner of the 2016 World Rod Building Challenge

• Like 1

Holy F'un fishing 305 gallons thats over a $Grand to cap her off ;(. Thats way out of my budget!! But getting back to Fishnut's question, I have a 22ft cuddy and I used a 20" shaft 15hp Evinrude 2 stroke and that worked flawlessly for me. I mounted it to my swim platform using a bracket I made from the numbers given by Adventure Marine Brackets. I added 2 more support brackets from another boat I had bought for the motor and lower unit. Since last year my older Evinrude crapped out on me. I purchased a 2014 15hp 4 stroke electric start Merc. So I knew it had a pretty good charge rate for my batteries. I haven't used it yet to actually see how well or not so well it performs on the job. All I know is its so quiet I don't know if it's running or not:lol:. I do know that the prop is much bigger than the Evinrude. So I'm hoping it's much better than my old Evinrude. Which I have no doubt it will be. In 4 weeks I will have the merc. paid off just in fuel costs for a weeks worth of fishing using the kicker vs the main. You won't be sorry you did put a kicker on.. At first getting all the goodies together you might second guess yourself but at the end of the day you still have 3/4 tank of fuel on the main and a gallon left in the 3 gallon can you will be very satisfied!!!. Just some food for thought.

• Like 1

You know what got me thinking about gas mileage. I went up to the lake thru the reservation and stopped and got gas. It was 2.70 / gal. Topped the boat off 53 gal. Real handy to 150.$. Then I bought gas at the gas dock on Saturday afternoon. I think I paid 3.65 $ / gal.
Wow what a difference.
4 day fishing trip to Ontario cost about 700.00$ total. That doesn’t sound too bad? But when 400.00 is in fuel cost it doesn’t sound as good. Lol [emoji23]
Not the the price of fuel is going to limit my fishing but if I could cut that by 25 to 45 % I’ll have a kicker paid off inside of 2 years.

So does anybody have a 15hp 4 stroke kicker with electric start?
Trim would be nice too. Lol

Thanks everyone for your input I really appreciate it. Made this decision very easy. Thanks.

• Like 1

Sounds like a lot but also sounds like you troll off your main.
The boat my dad just sold was 120 to 200 gallons of diesel an HOUR.
I guess it’s all relative.

Just as a reference point regarding the desirability of having a kicker to save on fuel the last time out we trolled on my 9.8 for about 10 hrs. on less than 2 gal. of gas

• Like 1

54 Hatteras with twin 1650's

Hat 54 is a sweet offshore boat!!Years ago a buddy of mine from school invited me to go to Bimini with his family and do a little fishing. They had a 65 Hatteras with an enclosed bridge. She was a truly impressive sport fishing machine and sure seemed like a cruise ship to me at the time, LOL. This boat ran 16 cylinder MAN diesels that each burned 120 GPH at running speed!! Cruise was 28kts. A fast, beautiful, well engineered fishing machine. A guy can dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well I bit the bullet and bought a kicker. Suzuki Fuel injected 9.9 4 stroke, power trim,electric start and a python remote steering system .
I figure if it gets too rough for the 9.9 to keep the boat straight I can always drop the bags and start the big engine. Now to install it by next weekend.