Fish hawk x4 issue

Mayb4

Hey guys, I have a new fish hawk x4 with a brand new ducer. It will read temp but doesnt read boat speed.i haven't even tried the probe yet but this should be functioning without it correct? I even put it in a. Bucket of water and spun the wheel and it kept a 0.0 speed. Wondered if anyone may have input on this type of issue

If you spin the wheel in a bucket of water it will not work. It refreshes every 45 seconds if I recall correctly. Did you actually run it or only test the wheel out of the water? If only out of the water (or in a bucket) throw it in and it will function. If not, check your connections. If that doesn’t help, contact Fishhawk and they’ll likely send a new transducer. Again, spinning the wheel out of water will produce 0.0 (Even in a bucket of water) but will read temp.

At the boat. I haven't even tried it with the probe yet

Okay, so you have run it in the water on the boat and it still doesn’t read. It isn’t uncommon after some time for the wheel on the transducer to not work. I’ve seen it. Like the other member just asked, show us where it is mounted. Luckily, your probe will still read speed so long as that isn’t defective or damaged, and that is the important speed after all. Post a pic of the mounting location. It does sound like you either have a bad connection possibly or a defective transducer. The good news is that Fishhawk customer service is pretty good, so fear not.

It looks fine to me. IMG_0037.thumb.JPG.3c8206d938bc10e69f036f3741a63feb.JPG

This is how mine is mounted. Clearances look fine. There’s nothing infront of the transducer that would interfere, correct? Honestly seems like you may just have gotten a defective transducer from them. I recommend you email

them tomorrow, with the pics and follow up

with a call. Being that you are getting temp I would assume interference with your FF isn’t the issue. Maybe it could be a bit lower, but I would seek input directly from the company.

I’d say you have it tilted to far forward, your probe is going to have blow back. I know that doesn’t solve your current problem but could solve a future problem.

Meaning his wheel doesn’t clear the bottom of the transom enough? I considered that, but from the pic it seems to clear to me. Maybe my eyes aren’t good enough though. If it’s not clearing the bottom of the transom that would impact the wheel from spinning, as the area behind the transom will be more like dead water.

3 minutes ago, Bgk88 said:

Meaning his wheel doesn’t clear the bottom of the transom enough? I considered that, but from the pic it seems to clear to me. Maybe my eyes aren’t good enough though. If it’s not clearing the bottom of the transom that would impact the wheel from spinning, as the area behind the transom will be more like dead water.

No, I have no idea why he’s not getting a surface speed? What I’m saying is once he tries the probe if his transducer is tilted forward that much combined with the  blow back on the probe he’s going to get sporadic readings from the probe. I have my transducer tilted back to compensate for blow back so it can still communicate with the probe.

For what ever it’s worth, if you turn your unit on, continue to spin the impeller while it’s sitting on the trailer, you should see a reading, if not something is wrong, nothing to do with the position, but as mentioned it may need some adjusting after you find out why it’s not reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Maybe use a garden hose pointed from the rear of the impeller to test?(someone else holding it:smile:)

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I had spoke to them while I was on the water once before and they had me do a few different things then just ask to use the head unit on someone else's boat. This unit worked without issue for my buddy who owned it previously. I'm thinking I have a broken ducer