Cable steer Autopilot report {simrad AP14r}

Ran the boat probably 15 times since installation.[around 60hrs] Still have not done the circle calibration I dont need to.

Handels the boat in wind gusts that you could not keep your hat on .

handels 3 to 4rs no problem.

Its quiet and Im very pleased with the unit.

1/2 day installation or less depending on changeing the steering cable.

Fishstix,

Sounds good. I called Hank and he is putting it in for me as I with need some modifications so it fits. Can't wait.

Congrats on placing that nice brown. I picked up a bunch of drink mixers for all you guys at the campground from work.

I'll be out Fri am then it's heading to Hanks place for the auto install.

Coup

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree, the heading shown on the AP14 display is NOT the GPS heading it is the compass heading directly off the fluxgate compass from the AP itself. It also has some addidional features like gain adjustments displayed on screen. Personally, I think it is worth the extra couple hundred scoots for the AP14.

YMMV

Tim

I disagree, the heading shown on the AP14 display is NOT the GPS heading it is the compass heading directly off the fluxgate compass from the AP itself. It also has some addidional features like gain adjustments displayed on screen. Personally, I think it is worth the extra couple hundred scoots for the AP14.

YMMV

Tim

O.K. Tim There is nothing wrong with having extra info on a boat. I think I would rather spend the extra couple hundred on tackle or beer. I have fished with both models and they seem equal to me. I havn't changed my gain since I set it three years ago.

Tight lines to ya!

OK guys...I get the picture. Sounds like a matter of choice, both models will physically setup and work the same. Data, data, and more data....how did the fisherman of the past survive without.....

Thanks agian....I am in the market! .....

Dave

Does anyone have photos showing the installation behind the dash? I would love to put a Simrad AP on my boat but I only have 7.5 - 8.0" of room from the dash to bulkhead. The boat is a 1998 Penn Yan 225.

How much room exactly does it take to install the AP12? I have heard 10", and was wondering what the unit looks like that would take up 10" behind the dash.

We current have a Raymarine sportpilot plus that needs to go........

Thanks,

John

John,

It pretty much needs the full ten inches. The motor housing is attached to the end of the steering box. It may be possible to cut a hole in your bulkhead and fabricate a cover from starboard or a similar material. It may be worth looking into to get rid of a sport pilot.

I have a motor ass'y at home if you really need a picture ,I could dig it out.

Dave

Dave,

I was hoping to find someone with a picture of under the dash showing the install. Does Simrad have you remove the rear plate on the steering rack and fit their control head that way? Also will I need some type of adapter to fit the control head to my rack?

The Raymarine unit we currently have mounts up very nice, shame it's nothing more then a worthless spacer between the wheel and dash at the moment.

Does anyone know if the new Raymarine X-5 controller uses the same mounting as the sportpilot ?

Thanks for offering the photos,

John

John, the simrad replaces the existing helm in it's entirety. The rack goes away. That's why you have to replace the steering cable if it is currently a rack and pinion. The simrad is based on a rotary steering helm so you need a rotary steering cable.

Tim

Tim,

That explains it...

Where do you get the rotary cable to work with the boats drive? Does it have to be a certain size for the AP unit?

I'm leaning towards cutting a hole in the bulkhead to use a Simrad, but want to make sure I can get everything I need before tearing down the steering, as I have the boat pretty well sorted out with the exception of the AP.

Thanks again,

John

I have done some research on the Simrad installation and does this sound correct to those of you who have installed them?

My current rack & pinion steering system has a Morse # 304411 cable, according to the Simrad installation manual for the AP14R it should thread right onto the SRD12 helm unit. Their compatibility chart is not clear, but in the text it says if your cable is not compatible with the SRD12 steering unit, to then order the Morse 304411 cable. So from the sounds of it I should be good to go with my original cable.

Now that I'm looking to purchase a AP14R, everyone is out of stock...

The simrad is a rotary drive cable, not a rack and pinion. Unless they have changed.

The rotary cable end resembles an unwound spring around the end of the cable, It works like a screw thread to move the cable. You may have to buy a new rotory cable for your application

http://www.nicksoutboardmarine.com/stee ... ables.html

I'm an idiot... My helm is a rotary ( why else would it have a rotary cable), I recently installed a rack system on another boat and have R&P on the brain. So excuse my rambling and thanks for making me think twice.

Called several vendors and all say the same thing, Simrad won't be shipping new units till the first week of July. Has anyone found a really good vendor to deal with? Saving a few bucks is always good, but I really like to talk with vendors and get someone who can help when you need parts or repair, etc... I'm like a kid two weeks before Christmas, know what I want but have to wait. And yes, I've been good...

Thanks again,

John