Outboard travel position

troutman10

Check your boat owners manual, or the motor owners manual.

I believe my 1989 Evinrude 150 owners manual says to trim the motor all the way up, engage the motor bracket, then lower the motor to rest on the bracket for towing the boat.

I guess the best way would be to tilt the motor all the way up or at least high enough that it won't hit the ground and then attach a good transom saver and lower motor tight against it. but that's the right way. but i have been boating for about 45 yrs. now and never used one yet. but I have a brand new one i bought for my last boat and never used it. but I may use it with the boat I just bought if it will work on it. I just tilt them up and put the travel blocks in place and lower the motor down tight. on some of my older boats that didn't have power trim I used a 2x4 under the motor.

2 hours ago, LongLine said:

On the highway.......DOWN!  

X2 as long as you have the clearance. If not you can get a transom saver which allows you to trim the motor up and take the weight off the transom.

Edited by spoonfed-1

Check the manual they can be different my old Johnson had a stand in it my new merc it says lift just high enough to clear no transom saver and the kicker says keep it down

I think it depends on the boat. We use the motor bracket on our 24' Wellcraft with a 200 Yammie, but for the Lund with a 115 I simply raise the motor so that it's just touching the tilt pistons. I've read mixed opinions on transom savers, related to having the motor attached to the trailer independent of the boat. I could see some wiggle happening on bumps - and force applied at a strange angle.