Kicker motor mounting options

15 hours ago, Shakemsam said:

Not in a 2-3 ft chop.

I still think a good trolling motor would do a better job pulling the bow back on course than trying to push the boat from the back. but then I never troll into the waves in rough water, I troll with the waves so you have more control over the waves. 

once a few years back while fishing alone and using my Mercruiser motor and outdrive in some good waves trolling with the waves without any kind of autopilot I tied a 6v flashlight to the bottom of the steering wheel to keep it from turning free and it worked 98% of the time I was fishing. the flashlight would go up when the boat tried turning then it would come back down keeping the boat straight. but it did go over the top a few times then I had to turn the wheel back to straighten the boat manually.

The high output 9.9s are amazing.

My Yamaha will push my Mako at close to 10 mph if the main ever quits.

Or if the prop drops off the main like it did last fall.😳

Ran about 4 miles back to a launch.

Not sure how an electric will work doing that.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally dropped my boat off to Precision Marine in Marietta last week and they are going to custom build a motor mount out of 1/2” aluminum to fit my transom.  Will be a little pricey but can’t wait to get it back and get back on the water soon. Will post pics for any others in the future with similar dilemmas of unique transoms with limited room for a kicker mount.  Thanks again everyone for taking the time to share your input.

15 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

Well I finally dropped my boat off to Precision Marine in Marietta last week and they are going to custom build a motor mount out of 1/2” aluminum to fit my transom.  Will be a little pricey but can’t wait to get it back and get back on the water soon. Will post pics for any others in the future with similar dilemmas of unique transoms with limited room for a kicker mount.  Thanks again everyone for taking the time to share your input.

I sure hope you have power tilt on your motor and they allow enough length for you to tilt the motor all the way up without hitting the boat.

we use a Panther power tilt unit I bought off FB marketplace with the 3" Panther spacer and the motor still comes into contact with the boat before it gets tilted all the way up. but it is high enough it's out of the water while running fast.

Picked my boat up today from the fabricator and am really happy with it.  Feels really sturdy and also allows me to use the tiller handle which I didn’t think would be possible.  Precision Marine in Marietta did the work and it didn’t cost nearly as much as I thought it would.

8A048AB7-B2B7-439D-93C4-A8F151930338.jpeg

6B426812-7E06-49BA-80FE-1BF8AA961A5A.jpeg

• Like 1

Lookin good. The one question I would have is did you carefully check the capacity max on the bracket because there can be a big difference between the max rating (both weight and horse power) for 2 stroke kickers and 4 strokes. Nice looking job on the mounting.

3 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Lookin good. The one question I would have is did you carefully check the capacity max on the bracket because there can be a big difference between the max rating (both weight and horse power) for 2 stroke kickers and 4 strokes. Nice looking job on the mounting.

The bracket is rated for up to 20hp and 110lbs. This 9.9 is 83 or 88 lbs, and can’t remember.

The max. HP rating can be independent of the motor weight as I think it may be related to the difference in thrust between the 2 stroke and 4 stroke motors. The recommended max HP difference can be very much less for a 4 stroke motor than for the 20 hp rating for the 2 stroke...that is why I mentioned it. I'm not a marine mechanic so someone else may want to address it... I just noticed that the bracket itself is aluminum and sometimes the max rating can be different for them vs. a stainless steel bracket too. Just thought I'd mention it so you can be sure (and safe) out there:smile:

• Thanks 1

I looked up the website where I purchased the bracket from and someone had asked about it in the Q&A section and the manufacturer said it is safe for any 4 stroke under 20 hp.  Good to know for sure though sk8man,thank you for bringing that point to my attention.

15 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

The springs don’t seem to help me too much when pulling the motor back up though.  

It looks like you are going to be over extended to lift that engine up. May be a hernia waiting to happen:worried:. Also you will need to support the kicker with some extra straps while trailering to get the bounce out of it. Those aux-motor brackets will not take the road shock. I went down that road years ago and ended up getting a power lift similar to the Panther Model 45 Aux motor lift, sku: 550045. They are expensive but well worth the investment.

• Thanks 1

I have the stainless mount on my Mako.

Instructions say not to trailer with the motor mounted on the mount.

My T-9.9 is 112lbs and it comes up fairly easily.

I am leery about traveling with the motor mounted.

I am now looking into the Panther 4 stroke bracket 550410. It’s rated for up to 283# and is designed to trailer with the motor mounted.  Sounds like it will make each trip more enjoyable and easier on the back.  Carrying the motor back and forth from my truck doesn’t agree with me especially when I fish alone. Does anyone have one of these and how do you like  it?

Edited by greenhornet73

8 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

I am now looking into the Panther 4 stroke bracket 550410. It’s rated for up to 283# and is designed to trailer with the motor mounted.  Sounds like it will make each trip more enjoyable and easier on the back.  Carrying the motor back and forth from my truck doesn’t agree with me especially when I fish alone. Does anyone have one of these and how do you like  it?

I tried that one and found out that with a 9.9 kicker on it, I could not force the bracket down. I returned it and bought the panther made for 4stroke kickers up to 15 horse. The 550407AL

About not traveling with the  outboard on the bracket. The company is trying to protect itself from lawsuits by people who like to drive at 80 miles an hour on a bumpy dirt road and who do not like to properly fasten the kicker or just want a new one. You can safely travel with the kicker on, as long as you properly tie it down so it cannot bounce and you don't drive like a madman.

Edited by rolmops

I know that bracket seems like overkill for such a light motor but am just concerned about all these warnings online about trailering with the motor on these scissor mounts.  I trailer my boat everywhere and will be using one strap if not 2 when on the road.  The 407AL has the same specs as the Hoffen I currently have mounted but the handles suck and it takes more effort than I’d like to pull it up out of the water.  How does yours do pulling it up? I’m definitely more excited about the lighter versions price…..already calculating what else I can buy with the saved money I haven’t even spent yet.

Edited by greenhornet73

The kicker I have on it is an 80some pound Tohatsu. It does take a little effort ,but not much. I'm a seventy something old guy and can do it without much effort. Looking at the picture of your installation I would put a handle bar somewhere  so you can hold on and push with one hand and pull with the other.

That sounds promising. My Merc is 84 pounds and I feel like I am pulling 75 of it on my own with 2 fingers which one is currently infected so it really concerned me in the chance of not being in perfect physical health.  Slim chance, something always hurts.  The wide handle on the panther alone along with any additional help the springs give will be worth the switch. Thank you for sharing your experience with the 2 models, it pointed out the exact concerns I was debating over.

The panther will lift your motor easily out of the water. One thing for sure always use the safety cable they give you.  My worry was having the plastic break while  motoring back in with the troller up and losing the motor to the bottom.   I think they also make different height lifts too. I had the 10 inch lift one. 
amazon has some returned ones for around $250. 

Edited by nysrx01

One look at the difference between the Panther and the Hoffen is probably enough to know that not all specs are as precise as they should be.