I have been dealing with a lot more rigger releases with no fish than in past years. As I troubleshoot should I increase tension on my rigger release to ensure a tighter/longer rigger to fish connection? For example, last night I targeted lakers in 130 fow over 150 fow out of I Bay. Formula was easy as marks were plentiful. Easily had 10 rods pop and only felt 2 fish on the rod. Thoughts? Encountered a similar issue with browns but assumed my stick baits were bumping bottom. 

IMG_0998.jpeg

If using Blacks or similar get a digital luggage weighing scale attach it to the release and crank the release down to about 3 lbs.... that should help

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

If using Blacks or similar get a digital luggage weighing scale attach it to the release and crank the release down to about 3 lbs.... that should help

SK8man:

Still using the red rubber bands? Need more?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, java said:

yup. 

I run my releases extremely tight. Tight enough that most fish can not release them on their own. 20# kings struggle to release them. When a fish hits them I want to be able to get to them and release them. Not the fish. Lock them down and I bet your hook up ratio increases.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Legacy said:

I run my releases extremely tight. Tight enough that most fish can not release them on their own. 20# kings struggle to release them. When a fish hits them I want to be able to get to them and release them. Not the fish. Lock them down and I bet your hook up ratio increases.

I keep my clips super tight too.  Personally, I've felt that if the clip releases, it doesn't matter how fast I grab the rod, with any slack on the line the fish (salmon) always

seems to get off the hook.  I like the cannon clips.  The "click...click...click" means I'm good.  Oh, the only issue I've had is when the dinks are out.  You could be driving around for an hour without a hit, because you've got a dink in tow.

• Like 1

I agree somewhat with Legacy . Set the release at home and grab the line and  pull on it like you think a fish would till it releases hard . Bounce it a little . The strike will set the hook . 

On 5/13/2023 at 5:17 AM, Legacy said:

Really tightened my tension tonight and tripled my release to fish on rod rate! thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 2:07 PM, NyFallGuy said:

I keep my clips super tight too.  Personally, I've felt that if the clip releases, it doesn't matter how fast I grab the rod, with any slack on the line the fish (salmon) always

seems to get off the hook.  I like the cannon clips.  The "click...click...click" means I'm good.  Oh, the only issue I've had is when the dinks are out.  You could be driving around for an hour without a hit, because you've got a dink in tow.

Really tightened my tension tonight and tripled my release to fish on rod rate! thanks for the advice!

There can be the problem of carrying around small fish when the release is too tight and often by the time you realize it (especially in rough water conditions etc.) it is too late for the fish if needed to release. If the release is set to about 3 lbs or so smaller fish can struggle and release it much of the time. Using the (about $10 digital luggage scale e.g. Walmart) can allow you to fine tune things to your preference rather than guessing. I tighten the release tighter than that when running attractors.

9 hours ago, java said:

Awesome!

I will add that when I am King fishing that my releases are extremely tight. However depending on what I am doing I may do a few other things. Lake Trout fishing (with cowbells) I use tethered scottty releases. They work great 100+ down and allow me to see my bites better. Another thing I do is use half hitched rubber bands along with my blacks releases in skinny water.  The point is there isnt a one size fits all and different situations require different things.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sk8man said:

There can be the problem of carrying around small fish when the release is too tight and often by the time you realize it (especially in rough water conditions etc.) it is too late for the fish if needed to release. If the release is set to about 3 lbs or so smaller fish can struggle and release it much of the time. Using the (about $10 digital luggage scale e.g. Walmart) can allow you to fine tune things to your preference rather than guessing. I tighten the release tighter than that when running attractors.

You're exactly correct about the small fish not surviving the ride along.  If I see them out there, I lighten up the tension and/or check my lines much more often.  It's almost funny how good you feel about releasing a small survivor.

12 hours ago, Legacy said:

Awesome!

I will add that when I am King fishing that my releases are extremely tight. However depending on what I am doing I may do a few other things. Lake Trout fishing (with cowbells) I use tethered scottty releases. They work great 100+ down and allow me to see my bites better. Another thing I do is use half hitched rubber bands along with my blacks releases in skinny water.  The point is there isnt a one size fits all and different situations require different things.

Very true, and true in general about fishing...have to be flexible and open to changing circumstances. :smile:

On 5/13/2023 at 5:17 AM, Legacy said:

I’ve fished with Rob. They are tight for sure lol. 

2 hours ago, Tom Mich said:

Quite surprised to read that chamberlain releases aren't more dominant on lake O. I fish lake MI and by far they're the most popular here. Put em on, and forget about the rest.

I will give them a try!

• 1 month later...