You have to fish when you can…. But when the north wind blows in the warm water……. Sleep in!

Surface 70 degrees

From surface down to 130 over 150-230fow = 70 degrees!!  I though my probe was malfunctioning!

best marks in 160ish fow 140-160 down!  

Found out I only have ~170’ of cable wire on my riggers!!

NEVER have I even seen the temp so deep! 

good luck to those that venture out later!

Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

Edited by tenatureboy
Typo

I just looked on the LOC Derby Leaderboard two fish is all no salmon I said it must have been pretty rough on the lake this weekend. Don't ever recall seeing the leaderboard with only two fish on it in 3 days.. 

Edited by fisherdude

So it wasn't just me. We started out in 80 fow and dropped the fish hawk every 25 to 50 feet out till we got to 450fow. I was convinced my fish hawk was malfunctioning. I even changed my batteries. We only got one small king all day. Our best screen was in 140 fow but the fish would not bite. I threw everything I had in the boat at them. We fished west out to the green bouy and straight out from there. It got too rough once we hit 450 fow to go out any deeper than that. 

IMG_20230820_111653951_HDR.jpg

25 minutes ago, ShawnJ said:

So it wasn't just me. We started out in 80 fow and dropped the fish hawk every 25 to 50 feet out till we got to 450fow. I was convinced my fish hawk was malfunctioning. I even changed my batteries. We only got one small king all day. Our best screen was in 140 fow but the fish would not bite. I threw everything I had in the boat at them. We fished west out to the green bouy and straight out from there. It got too rough once we hit 450 fow to go out any deeper than that. 

IMG_20230820_111653951_HDR.jpg

We ran west and started off devils nose for the wind at our stern in 100 fow out to 240 then into 160ish where the screen was best.  I even tried knocking them on the head with cowbells in 150 fow but could turn up a good hit!

Told the guys with me that i questioned my probe a few times!!  But zero marks above 120’ said it was true!

Fished from 1pm to about 430pm today after doing some motor work.  150fow out to 450fow. probe rigger fired 3x set at 135 with no one home.  Managed a 10# king on a mag diver set at 325.  Never got below 68 degrees. Also donated a cannon ball to the lake.

• Sad 1

Little better to the East off Ibay. We dropped in at the 25N and made it to the 31.5N. Temp and fish 100-120 down. Temp came up above 90 around 30N but screen dried up. Best water for us 27N - 28N with a good mix of steelies, 2 year olds and matures.  No LOC fish though. We did donate a shark weight as well today!

Edited by Sweet Caroline

5 hours ago, pdsalmon said:

Same out of halfway between Olcott and Oak Orchard, 300' Thermocline was 120'-150'

I was getting thermocline at 85 down over 140 fow straight out in front of Olcott .. good marks, caught one salmon and lost 2 in a mid day troll for 1.5 hours....I don't understand but temp was good where I was I thought

16 hours ago, tenatureboy said:

You have to fish when you can…. But when the north wind blows in the warm water……. Sleep in!

Surface 70 degrees

From surface down to 130 over 150-230fow = 70 degrees!!  I though my probe was malfunctioning!

best marks in 160ish fow 140-160 down!  

Found out I only have ~170’ of cable wire on my riggers!!

NEVER have I even seen the temp so deep! 

good luck to those that venture out later!

Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

When we have a wind episode like that (east or a west) the fish seek stable water offshore. East wind earlier in the week piled the warm water into the western basin and the canadian south shore. A few days later that pounding west wind blew it all onto the US south shore giving us an extreme amount of warm water. 165-180 of cable to reach upper 40s all the way out to the 28.5 n line. Kinda crazy. 

Fish and bait want stable water so the offshore fishery is a no brainer on days like this. We fished 30-35 N on Sunday and had an insane amount of King bites out there. 

• Like 2